How do I install a 4-way dimmer setup?

I have a pre-wired setup that includes 3 light switches which control one bank of lights. I would like to turn them all into dimmers.

Favorite Answer

If you want them all to be able to dim you will have to buy a dimmer called maestro Lutron makes them you will need one master switch and two slave switches( sorry that is what they are called) follow the directions carefully. you should probably have an electrician do this though.

I don't know what you mean by "pre-wired setup" I wish you would "edit" your question so I knew.

I had what I think is a similar problem: how to turn on and off lights in a long hallway with four entry doors and two exit doors. I solved the problem by installing a motion senser switch, ($20.00) and a single pole dimmer switch. When you come into the hall from any location, the lights come on at the set dimmer level. When you leave the hall, after a preset time in seconds, the lights go out.

It doesn't make alot of sense to have so many dimmers on one set of lights. What's the logic of such a setup?

Lutron Maestro 4 Way Dimmer Switch

You need only put 1 dimmer in. But oh boy, get your pocket book out and be sitting down when they tell you how much a 4-way dimmer switch costs.

Pay attention when removing old swich as there will be four wires on the switch you will notice that 2 wires go to one set of screws and the other will go to other color screws keep each set of wires seprate. The colors usually are silver and brass and just put wires on to the dimmer the same way as old switch

Source(s): lic. electrician

don't put dimmers on all of them, only put a dimmer on one and switches on the rest. I don't feel like explaining, but it would mess up how you control your lights.

I have a 4way before two 3ways. I want to install two 3ways dimmers. I have been told the 4way must be between or in the middle of the two 3way dimmers.

buy the switch before you take out the other one, and just wire it exactly the same.

Hire an electrician to teach you. Be safe, electricity can kill.

follow the directions they came with!!