I'm tired of people thinking the sky is blue because it reflects off the oceans.?

There is no question, I'm telling all you people that think the sky is blue because it reflects off the ocean that you are WRONG!! please take away from this experience that the sky is blue due to light refraction, NOT the oceans reflection. please, please, please stop saying it is and misinforming these poor school kids. To make this even easier for you people that obviously cant do a simple google search, i have attached the link to a page on Rayleigh Scattering, the primary refraction effect responsible for the sky being blue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering

to answerer #1, thats my point, they arent pulling anyones leg, they are seriously answering these question thinking its accurate.

Favorite Answer

I'm with you... Every time somebody asks "why is the sky blue" (which happens at least 4-5 times a day) a few morons say "because it reflects the blue ocean". The sick thing is that they think it's true... I really wish people would read the other answers before answering a question that they don't really understand. All they do is confuse the poor soul that asked the question in the first place. Since this is usually one of the first questions somebody asks when they are new to Y!A it really reflects poorly on the community for them to be exposed to so many idiotic answers right off the bat.

I think we should start a petition that anyone who gives the "because it reflects the ocean" answer will have their answering privileges taken away for 1 month.

Amen! I always wonder how people explain how the sky is blue in the middle of the country far from any oceans. I've even seen the sky blue in the deserts of New Mexico where there are no lakes let alone any ocean to reflect the blue.

What's really sad is that some people will believe such nonsense and that some people would try to pass that off as fact. It has to be clinton's dumbing down of America at work here. I get mad at how dumb some of these questions are, too. Also get mad at how dumb liberals can be.

I have to say the sky is blue because thats the way God made it not from reflecting the ocean that God also made blue but because God likes blue so He also made the sky that color! =)

Have a great Day! ! !

wow, are there really people out there who are that stupid? Is this what are children are learning in public schools?

not really see space is pretty much black and since we have the sun during day it lights that blackness up a little and makes blue for us ^_^

and at night when wev rotated away from the sun its black cause theres no light so were really seeing space the sky ising a color ^_^ its just clear

Oh come on. Haven't you ever heard of pulling someone's leg?

Im tired of it too

I know, it's frustrating how stupid the general population is.

i actually havent heard anyone say tht phrase. interesting.