Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

EX-Repub disgusted with current state of GOP - won't vote GOP again?

I may vote again for Republican candidates on my local level but it has just become concretized for me that and I hate to say, that I just don't think the GOP is competent as a philosophy to lead on the large scale level - probably better suited to dealing with land assessments and such on the local level (as I'm voting for my local land assessor GOP yes)

I won't be voting GOP again nationally for at least a few election cycles -

anyone else as utterly disgusted with the dishonesty and incompetnence of the current GOP as I am?

Reagan-Republicans are gone with their namesake apparently

I hope the Democrats welcome an exGOP voter

• Rick
    Favorite Answer

my GOD!!!

Do you people who are saying " you were never a Reagan Republican" and "Reagan would never vote democrat" realize that Reagan used to be a democrat?

Look, Reagan himself said "I didn't leave the Democratic party, the Democratic party left me."

That sounds like how you feel about the Republicans right now and that's quite valid.

No matter what the uneducated people here tell you there is such a thing as a "blue dog" democrat and that is someone who votes democrat but is generally conservative.

Vote your conscience!!!

No no no, hang on a second. If you're as disgusted with the way the election resulted, that's no reason to call it quits. If you're unhappy with the results, it's up to you as the registered voter to continue voting for the better person. Imagine what would happen if every Kerry-voter out there just left voting in the hands of the Bush-voters. WHo's going to stop them from electing ANOTHER BUSH?!?!?!?!? <:O YOU and the rest of the Kerry-voters out there need to be those people. You can't quit voting for something as critical as GOP just because your guy didn't win.

I can understand being frustrated with the GOP but to start voting for Democrats makes no sense for a real conservative. As far as I can tell you must be a moderate (if you're not really a liberal in disguise which I think you probably are) that doesn't really have any serious convictions when it comes to your beliefs. Now if you'd said you were going to start voting independent I could take you more seriously. So long.

• Rich S

I doubt you were much of a GOP voter to begin with. I would think a better approach would be to vote for the man or woman rather then the political party. That way you can cover all your bases. Voting party line has never been the hallmark of any intelligent person capable of analytical thought. If that is too tough a proposition for you, maybe you ought to opt out of the voting booth altogether.

Frankly, I have been burned by BOTH of the Major Parties. They offer us no real hope for change, really. Not after more than 150 years at the helm. They're still arguing some of the same topics, and will be for yet another 150 years. These guys are tired. Let's inject some new blood into the sytem, already!

Bioid,

I don't think there is one true conservative here who is not dissapointed in the republicants on an extreme level. But you also have to consider where your vote is going if you vote for the demoncrats.

When you vote for a demoncrat, you'll be voting for or lending support to:

-Abortion on demand

-ACLU

-NAMbLA (National Man/boy Love Assosiation)

-judicial legislation (That is, judges who write laws rather than interpreting them)

-Anti-Americanism (Think of John Kerry calling the U.S. an "international pariah")

-Anti-military (John Murtha, John Kerry, etc., etc.,, ad nauseam)

-Socialism (if your vote goes to support Hillary)

-Terrorism (Not saying that YOU support terrorists, but keep in mind that in 2006, much of the demoncrats' support CAME from mid-east terror leaders)

-Censorship (Such as in the case of "A Path to 9/11", "the fairness doctrine", etc., ad infinitum)

-higher taxes

And the list goes on and on. So, again, while I understand your being upset with the dishonesty and the utter apathy displayed by this current crop of republicants (bearing in mind there ARE good ones here and there like Tom Tancredo, just like there ARE good democrats like Joe Lieberman), you should seriously reconsider voting for the demoncrats.

Never vote for a party. Instead, vote for good individuals on both a local and national level. Vote for those whose views line up with yours. Don't vote like the lunatic left, who vote for the demoncrats simply because they "are not Bush". Vote FOR someone. Not AGAINST someone. :)

I resigned from the Republican party due to the distinct lack of anything reminiscent of either Conservatism or Republicanism. I would happily go back if they would turn the party back into something that Goldwater would have been a part of...

Sorry, but I am a Reagan Republican, so we're not all dead yet! If you want to turn Liberal, we're okay with that. We won't miss you, for lacking honesty, integrity, and loyalty. You are the kind of person that will bring us down. Not wanted! Thank you for leaving the Republican Party! Bless you.

(Somehow, though, I just don't believe you were ever a real Republican).

It is great to see you woke up and are seeing what we have been seeing for many years. Yes, there are good Republicans. Governor Schwarzenegger of California is Republican and is doing a fine job. I am a Democrat and I voted for him. Unfortunately the GOP has been taken over by thugs lead by Karl Rove and so many good deserving Republicans will lose because of guilt by association.

So, again, welcome to reality. Now, go out and talk to your friends and relatives. Convince them to do the same.

• Mark P

Absolutely. I'm a conservative who believes in fiscal responsibility, limited government, strict interpretation of the constitution, and states' rights. The Republican party abandoned these values early in the Reagan administration - if not earlier.

For example, recall one of Reagan's platforms was abolishing the Department of Education. Once elected, he retracted this. And now Bush Jr. brought us No Child Left Behind, one of the biggest federal power grabs from states in memory.

Eventually I figured it out and re-registered as a Libertarian.

One key is coming to the realization that "socially liberal" policy is actually conservative government policy - as respecting individual decision making and privacy from the government (e.g. abortion, gay marriage, sodomy, etc.) is actually a conservative value.

Both the Democratic and Republican parties are presently hopelessly liberal. Interestingly, when it comes to our policy on using troops for nation building and running massive deficits - the Democratic party is actually more "conservative". Go figure.