Why does my Betta fish keep swimming belly up?

He does this all the time!! I think I need to feed him a different kind of food. Any suggestions? How often should I change his water?

Favorite Answer

It sounds as if he has a swim bladder infection. If you just got him return him and trade for another. If not, you will need to treat him with antibiotics. Furanace or Marcyn are the best choices. You do need to feed him several different types of foods, Flake, pellets, brine shrimp and bloodworms are all good choices.

If he is in a bowl, change the entire bowl every 2-3 days. In a tank with a filter, change about 25% of the water once a week.

MM

Well it could be a number of things.

0)A swim bladder disorder caused by overfeeding, and/or poor water quality.

1)Over feeding him with a food that causes him to float. Gold fish pellets, and flakes would do this. (Also gold fish food has to much in the way of vaggies for carnivore like a betta.)

2)Read betta talk for water changes, and types of food.

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_care.htm

I had a betta once and he did that all the time. I wish you had included tank or bowl information. If he lives in a bowl change is water at least once a week. Bettas have to have their water at just the right temperature keep his water lukewarm.

He has gas/constipation. Feed him small bits of shelled pea, and keep the water between 78-82 degrees.

My Betta did that get ready to go get another fish. Your water is bad and the wrong temperature.

He is a bad swimmer- just because he is a fish does not mean that he can swim well... not all humans walk well and not all fish swim well... it is entirely possible that his fish parents were retarded

Source(s): www.retardedfish.gov

maybe he has some bad gas- sprinkle some bean-o in his water.... just kidding. Go to the pet store and get the highest quality food you can for that type of fish. Maybe he's just confused.

it's dead