how important is discipline in society?

is it something like what Michael Foucalt saying is about the importance of punishment?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

First, let me thank you for such an interesting question

Discipline in society is important. How?

discipline is a way of controlling the movement and operations of the body in a constant way. It is a type of power that coerces the body by regulating and dividing up its movement, and the space and time in which it moves. Timetables and the ranks into which soldiers are arranged are examples of this regulation. The disciplines are the methods by which this control became possible. Foucault traces the origins of discipline back to monasteries and armies. He is clear, however, that the concept changed in the eighteenth century. Like Foucault, I believe that discipline became a widely used technique to control whole populations. The modern prison, and indeed the modern state, would not be possible without this idea of the mass control of bodies and movement.

I understand Foucault who describes discipline as a way to keep our modern social structures from collapsing; a method used by the Dominant group to remain in power and create or re-create “docile bodies” as well as upgraded ex-delinquents into the world (at least, that is the goal) the latter now positively contribute to the capitalism and power main drive. Yes, I agree with him and his associations between the shifts in culture and the birth of the prison and dominance, pointing out the major vessels for this shift: the human body and power. Power is a strategy, or a game not consciously played by individuals but one that operates within the machinery of society. Power affects everyone, from the prisoner to the prison guard, but no one individual can "control" it.

Prison is a new technological power also found in schools, hospitals, military barracks, etc. They all are part of the “modern” structure found in all western societies.

I have been one of Foucault’s fans for a long time. I find His writings and theoretical thinking process to be sensitive and intelligent. Mostly, I admire his ways to wake up sleeping masses and invite us to different/new methods of analyzing and understanding.

He suggests that the shift towards prison, which followed, was the result of a new "technology" and ontology for the body being developed in the 18th century, the "technology" of discipline, and the ontology of "man as machine".

Like Foucault, I believe that discipline creates “docile bodies” ideal for the new economics, politics and warfare of the modern industrial age. New disciplinary institutions can now constantly observe and record its docile bodies in order to control them. In order to control them, the institutions must be able to constantly observe its bodies. The panopticon (referred to unequal gaze) was the ultimate realization of today’s disciplinary institution. Bodies are less liquely to commit delinquent acts if they believe they are being watched, even if they are not.

Note: Foucault's work "Surveiller et Punir" was roughly translated in English by "Discipline and Punishment." Discipline and Surveillance (or surveiller) are two different things. However, Foucault later agreed on the translation.

I don't know about Foucalt really but I don't trust academic theorists. I think they come up with a lot of pedantic ideas that only make sense to other eggheads.

However I think that discipline is very important and the great mistake of the hippies was to abandon it. I am talking about self-discipline, not authoratarian government discipline. If a society loses all discipline people no longer respect it.

I depends on what you mean by "discipline". Do you mean punishment? Or do you mean self-discipline? Or something else?

This is a great question, and one I could discuss at length, but starting with the same definition is important.

its pretty important seeing as though todays kids are so out of control.. they need to understand the consequences of their actions