Which is better for COPD patients, Albuterol inhaler or Combivent inhaler?

I have the disease COPD & use an inhaler called Combivent. I have a friend with the same disease who uses Albuterol. His Dr. says Albuterol is best, my Dr. say's combivent is the best. Who's right? Need knowledgeable opinions please!

Favorite Answer

Combivent is a mixture of Albuterol Sulfate and Ipatropium Bromide (Atrovent). From my experiance, it seems to work better, as long as the patient does have certain heart conditions which the Atrovent can aggrivate. It could be that your friend has one of these conditions, so both of your doctors are correct. Albuterol is best for him and Combivent is best for you. Even if he does not have a heart condition, her doctor may feel that straight Albuterol is enough for him.

I use Spiriva a non MDI inhaler and Have Albuterol for a rescue inhaler

Albuterol is still available with a HFA propellant

I have used combivent as a neb treatment, which worked; I had troubles with combivent as a MDI because of the CFC propellant

• lynda

I feel the combivent is better, because it is a combination of two inhalers. Does your friend take another inhaler with his albuterol. Some dr will recommend two and it is equivulant to the Combivent. Hope this helps.

Also if you feel relief. stick with what your doctor prescribed.

Source(s): Work in a pharmacy
  • OU812

Of the two, for COPD, combivent is your best choice. Combivent is a combination of Albuterol and Atrovent.

Each of these medications works through different pharmacological pathways to achieve bronchodilation and each has it's own strengths.

If you're not working with a Pulmonologist, you should be.

I don't know what you can afford, or what your insurance will pay for, but you should discuss the possible benefits of using Spiriva for management of your COPD.

Source(s): Respiratory Therapist x 25 years.

I would have to say Combivent inhaler. I was informed that the company that produced Albuterol, no longer makes it. That is what I used to be on and my doctor switched me to Xopenex ( zo-pen-x).

• Mucinex and calm down. Combivent v. Albuterol? It's like saying who's better, Captain Kirk or Captain Picard.

Source(s): Experience.

There is no "one size fits all" medical decision that's best for all patients. Your doctor prescribed Combivent, presumably taking your other health factors into account. His doctor prescribed Albuterol, presumably taking HIS other health factors into account.

"Best" is a relative term. Everyone wins, as their doctors are taking care of them.

I don't really know, but I'd suggest you go to another doctor and get another opinion, as taking the opinion of strangers over the internet isn't the wisest choice. If you're worried about your doctor giving you the wrong medication, like I said, get another opinion, as medical professionals are who you should be asking. Good luck!