Chemical States? solid liquid or gas?

How can you tell when something is a solid liquid or gas? like when you are balancing equations.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Certain elements you will learn to automatically know as liquid or gas. For example diatomic elements such as H2, O2, F2, are always gas. IF a problem asks you to write out an equation and it tells you it's "in solution" it means that it is aqueous (aq). A solid is present when a precipitate forms. Now in order to know it a precipitate forms you must follow a set of rules. Here are the rules from my first year University Chemistry Book:

SOLUBLE COMPOUNDS:

- Compounds that have alkali metal ions (Li+, Na+)

- The ammonium ion NH4+

- Nitrates (NO3 2-)

- Chlorates (CLO3-)

- Cl-. Br-, I-

- Sulfates (SO4 2-)

INSOLUBLE (If these are present in a compound than it is solid)

Carbonates (CO3 2-)

Phosphares (PO4 2-)

Sulfides (S 2-)

Hydroxides (OH-)

Example: CaCO3 Solid or not?

Insoluble, thus a solid because it contains a carbonate group.

I hope that makes sense, sorry about the novel.

• 1 decade ago

In general, balancing equations assumes the reaction takes place in an aqueous environment, within water. Other specialized interactions can have the state of the elements noted in subscript when balancing.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For components, it would not fairly count huge type. the climate have melting and boiling factors that don't fall in the variety of 0 to twenty levels, as long as tension is persevering with besides. as an occasion, mercury and bromine are liquid at the two temperatures.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.