How much does the sky weigh?

Silly question? Hmmm........... not sure. My brother told me there is a young woman in one of his college classes whos child asked her this question. I assume a pretty young child.

I like to post funny questions with my own son and see what creative and fun answers we get back. I decided to post this one for them and see what we get.

Wow! I didnt realize people would have REAL answers. LOL .......

Keep them coming!

Favorite Answer

well cant give you the answer but i can help you work it out.

first you need a good estimate of the composition of the sky, for example 70% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and the rest....

then you need an estimation of the volume of the sky (more scientifically put the atmosphere) this is where it is complicated as diff parts of atmos have different compositions, but if you assume an average other the different layers for simplicity.

get the volume in m cubed, then find the weight of a m cubed of each element in your average composition (from its periodic number)

using the percentages, calculate the volume of each element/molecue (%*whole volume=volume of moleculeor element)

then times volume (in m cubed) by the the weight of molecule/element, for each molecule/element

then add the individual weights up

simple

:-)

Source(s): maybe im a mathematical genius, maybe im just sad

Do you mean the sky or the atmosphere?

The atmosphere exerts a pressure of 14.7 pounds per square inch on us.

The sky would have an infinite weight as space continues infinitely.

"The average mass of the atmosphere is about 5,000 trillion metric tons"

-National Center for Atmospheric Research

it depends how fat is the sky.