Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

What is some good Rap music to start listening to?

Hello all. I am largely into the indie/rock/acoustic scene and am a musician myself. however, my friend who is a drummer introduced me to the world of rap because of the awesome beats. i would love to hear more rap music like this. so my question is what is some good rap music to start with? please refrain from any 'hit' rappers just because they're famous. i dont care what time period or anything, just some good rap music to listen to.

for example, i've heard eminems lose yourself, and would love some more music like that. i am not, however, into '*** like that' or anything like that.

thanks everyone, i know this was picky. basically i'm just looking for some names of all round great rappers, the jimi hendrix's of rap if you will

• Snoop
    Favorite Answer

Fighting Words has some great choices, and I would like to add to his list. Try The Roots, probably the most underrated rap band (they play instruments) ever. I highly recommend When Things Fall Apart, The Tipping Point, and The Roots Come Alive. Also, try The Fugees (especially The Score), some Jaheim, early Nas (Illmatic, It Was Written), Jay-Z Unplugged, Eminem (especially The Marshall Mathers LP, and The Eminem Show), and let's not forget about Wu-Tang Clan!

Source(s): Fan of good, quality Rap (not the overhyped B.S. that is played on the radio today)!

Where you're coming from I might start with Public Enemy - any of the first four albums but especially It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back. Chuck D in his prime was a force of nature and the beats will knock your block off.

Next, check out OutKast - any of their albums but I might start with Stankonia. Bombs Over Baghdad is a great mixture of drum'n'bass and Hendrix type guitar.

A few others you might dig:

Paid in Full - Eric B. & Rakim

The Infamous - Mobb Deep

Dark Days Bright Nights - Bubba Sparxxx

That should keep you busy for a while - happy listening!

• dupre

Nas, 2Pac, The infamous B.I.G., enormous L, enormous Pun, Ice cube, Rakim, Kanye West, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Guru, Brother Ali, MF Doom, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, J. Cole, Wale, Blu, Freddie Gibbs, enormous Sean, Charles Hamilton. those are the artists i've got been listening to for a on a similar time as now.

If you wanna listen to GOOD Rap that isn't lame, mainstream and actually has meaning check out:

Jurassic 5

The Coup

Murs

Atmosphere

Pysche Origami

BTW, stay away from the 1st poster's suggstions, those are some of the worst "bands" out there, not even music.

mos def and talib Kweil liisten to blackstar

Common is real nice listen to resurrection

Jay-z first album is really nice

Method man is really nice but it hard to find his good stuff

Nas illmatic and Lupe fiasco are very good also

Dont forget 2pac and biggie

WILL honestly i dont think u'd like them but icp/dark lotus/blaze

its not gothic it tight u just got to feel it

walk it ou ( remix), fly high, vans