96 Dodge Avenger won't upshift after continuous driving?

My 96 Avenger won't upshift after driving for a while or driving through stop and go traffic. I had the transmission fluid flushed and changed but that didn't help the problem. I'm also getting a OBDII code 1784. Any insight would help past the standard replace the transmission. Any estimates would also be helpful so I can make a sound decision.

Thanks

The engine is V6 2.5 liter made by mitsubishi

Favorite Answer

This could be a problem, but not likely. Double check you have the right transmission fluid in there. If it's wrong, it could be overheating, and eventually cause an explosion of your tranny. I've seen this happen with a small chevy truck.

I've been looking on google for ideas about your OBD11 code, but all I could find are downloads. Take a look at the link, it's a free download.

I know a new or replacement tranny would be a last resort here but I'm agreeing with all the other answerers here. Maybe you've got some junk in there jamming it up and it needs a thorough cleaning. Try that.

• dupre

yea, tire rigidity. yet sparkling air clear out, oil/clear out replace, and sparkling induction/emissions structures and bodily factors. seafoam/deepcreep in a vacuum line according to DIY on the seafoam web site. or evaluation many on youtube. plugs are prolly stable. perfect you will do. prolly have been given some miles on her. at this age, 35 hwy could be very stable. ------------ EDIT, ppl, this has coil/ignitor atop plug config and NO distributor. no changing of plug wires mandatory. except there's a pass over hearth subject and a number of of of those have been chanced directly to be the undertaking.

the coolent temp sendor may have short circuited thus allowing it to shif into higher gears as the box doesn't realise that the engine has warmed up yet, mitsubishi's are prone to this problem, we (mitsu owners) just earth the wire then you'll never have a problem again..

Sounds like the trans govenor has a dap of trash in it.

THATS SOUNDS LIKE ITS THE TRANNY GOING THERES A RECALL ON YOUR TRANSMISSION IF THIS AVENGER IS A 2.5

LITER V6 AUTOMATIC