Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Kidney Cancer??

If I have kidney cancer and they remove my kidney, will i still need chemo?

I know i need to ask my dr this but my consultation isn't until next week.

Favorite Answer

There is alot that can occur. I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma in December 2005. I had a partial nephrectomy and the doctors have done no more than just follow me very closely. They have me go thru a ct scan every three months and they say that is really all they can do. Depends on the type of cancer, exactly where in the kidney its located, and stage. email me at dmckinner@yahoo.com, i would be happy to tell you how my life has been since cancer was diagnosed and how i have dealt with it. Plus I have a great doctor who specializes in renal cancers only that it awesome!

1

Source(s): Reverse Kidney Disease Naturally - http://kidneyheal.trustdd.com/?VFIO

2

Source(s): Kidney Health Solutions http://teres.info/KidneyHealth
  • micho

Treatment

If it is only in the kidneys, which is about 40% of cases, it can be cured roughly 90% of the time with surgery. If it has spread outside of the kidneys, often into the lymph nodes or the main vein of the kidney, then it must be treated with chemotherapy and other treatments.

[edit] Surgery

Surgical removal of all or part of the kidney (nephrectomy) is recommended. This may include removal of the adrenal gland, retroperitoneal lymph nodes, and possibly tissues involved by direct extension (invasion) of the tumor into the surrounding tissues. In cases where the tumor has spread into the renal vein, inferior vena cava, and possibly the right atrium (angioinvasion), this portion of the tumor can be surgically removed, as well. In case of metastases surgical resection of the kidney ("cytoreductive nephrectomy") may improve survival[3], as well as resection of a solitary metastatic lesion.

[edit] Percutaneous therapies

Percutaneous, image-guided therapies, usually managed by radiologists, are being offered to patients with localized tumor, but who are not good candidates for a surgical procedure. This sort of procedure involves placing a probe through the skin and into the tumor using real-time imaging of both the probe tip and the tumor by computed tomography, ultrasound, or even magnetic resonance imaging guidance, and then destroying the tumor with heat (radiofrequency ablation) or cold (cryotherapy). These modalities are at a disadvantage compared to traditional surgery in that pathologic confirmation of complete tumor destruction is not possible.

[edit] Radiation therapy

Radiation therapy is not commonly used for treatment of renal cell carcinoma because it is usually not successful. Radiation therapy may be used to palliate the symptoms of skeletal metastases.

[edit] Medications

Medications such as alpha-interferon and interleukin-2 (IL-2) have been successful in reducing the growth of some renal cell carcinomas, including some with metastasis. IL-2 (Proleukin®) is presently the only therapy FDA-approved for the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer). Studies have demonstrated that IL-2 offers the possibility of a complete and long-lasting remission in these diseases. In addition, the anti-VEGF monoclonal antibody gurnistologyisics has been shown to be promising in advanced disease.

Sunitinib (Sutent) was FDA approved in January 2006 for treatment of advanced renal cell cancer.

Temsirolimus is an inhibitor

[edit] Chemotherapy

Chemotherapy may be used in some cases, but cure is unlikely unless all the cancer can be removed with surgery.

[edit] Vaccine

In November 2006, it was announced that a vaccine had been developed and tested with very promising results.(See [2]) The new vaccine, called TroVax, works in a totally different way to existing treatments by harnessing the patient's own immune system to fight the disease. Experts say this suggests that gene therapy vaccines could prove an effective treatment for a whole range of cancers. Oxford BioMedica[3] is the company behind the vaccine; it's a British company established as a spin-out from Oxford University and specialises in the development of gene-based treatments. Further vaccine trials are underway.

I'm afraid a truthful,honest answer wouldn't be possible here because we don't know what the doctors has said about factors that will be crucial with your prognosis etc.Each patient's cancer is treated based on scans,biopsies and other pathology results taken during surgery called "staging" That is key to provide the proper cancer treatment protocol's,there are several,surgery,chemo,radiation,investigational drugs,even stem cell,and bone marrow transplants. I wish you all the best,take care. SW RNP

i think the doctors will tell you whether or not. you probably will, because the cancer could have metastasized (spread) through your body, and the chemo would get rid of any that's left. There are different grades of chemo, for those with level 4 cancer, and those with lighter levels of cancer. You are in a lighter level category, so you wont need intense chemo.

Yep, however the only thank you to be responsive to for valuable is a biopsy. basically permit me say that maximum Kidney tumors are benign (non-cancerous). they could locate any suspicious hundreds around it and that they have function appearances. I recommend an MRI test, nevertheless. it rather is greater unique than a CT test yet in addition cots greater.

• Jamie

I couldn't just sit around and do nothing like my doctors suggested.

They didn't want me to do anything or to take herbs or herbal remedies, but I had to try something - they just wanted me to do dialysis!

This program allowed me to take control of my health. I went from Stage 4 to Stage 3 kidney disease.

It was easy to do and my BUN, creatinine and anemia are all in better ranges.

Reversing Your Kidney Disease?

That will depend on the stage of the disease, and if any lymph nodes in the area where affected. Your oncologist will be able to tell you. There could also be some new trials going on that you could participate in.

Some people who have answered this have no sense of empathy.

Good luck to you through this difficult journey. Stay positive, it makes all the difference in the world.

no because you have removed the cancer. but the thing is with cancer, its hereditary. So, if you have it in one kidney, you might have cancer, or pre cancer, or will develop cancer in the other kidney...So, you must counter this before it starts if it hasnt...And if its still in the early stages then you are lucky...Go and take some cesium chloride with rubidium and DMSO. Also take some oxygen drops, and ip6 pills. Also, take an aloe vera plant, a fresh one from the local floral shop, and cut off their pricks. Then cut off a chunk and put it into a blender. Put some vanilla ice cream into it. This is going to be extremely bitter so just gulp it down. Do this maybe 3 times a week for about a week or two. This should take care of you and kill any remaining cancer you may have left in your body. The oxygen drops helps your body take in more oxygen and nothing more. But, its effective because cancer cannot live where there is too much oxygen. Um, it also prohibits cancer from developing. And its natural, all it is is a liquid that allows your body to take in more oxygen. the cesium chloride changes your ph level in your body so that cancer cannot live. Its like taking a freshwater fish and putting it into a salt water body of water. The fish will eventually die. This is what the cesium chloride does to cancer. The rubidium in the cesium chloride helps your body take in the cesium chloride. The ip6 pills take iron out of your body. It binds with the iron. Iron is the building blocks of cancer. So, without it, it cannot multiply. It will multiply until it runs out of iron. And without iron, it will have to die because it needs it to live, thrive, and multiply. And cancer multiplies alot faster then your normal body cells. So, you can do without iron for a while. But, this ip6 does something even more extraordinary. It takes iron out of the cancer cells and not from your body. But, this leads to the next situation. You need to limit your iron intake. Like beef, red beets, broccoli, etc etc. You must eat brown rice. Ip6 is just an extract from this brown rice. It binds with iron but only from cancer cells. Cancer takes it from your body. So, by eating brown rice, it absorbs all the iron in your body.