J asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 decade ago

Is the phrase "YOU PEOPLE" when referring to one's ethnic group racist?

Favorite Answer

Depends on what the ethnic group in question is.

• GEEGEE

No really, because it could be used to group people together in so many ways-

people who live together

people who work together

any combination of people doing something together, but not always sharing an ethnic backgroud.

And if a person was lumping an ethnic group into YOU PEOPLE, they could be tacking it onto something positive and complementary, which some people could consider racist, but I don't.

I am not sure. Is the phrase "You N's" when referring to one's certain ethnic group racist? That is how my co-workers refer to my ethnicity.

That could be considered a yes and no question depending on who you are asking. Me personally, I would not taki it as racist but then I am more easy going when it comes to ethnicity. My end answer to your question, given how people are these days, most would consider that phrase racist...sad really.

I think it has a racist undertone. Like a big sign saying wait for it...He's about to say something racist. I would suggest not using the phrase.

Source(s): Experience...

Not really, but when dealing with very thin skinned hair trigger ethnic groups it turns into a big situation.

Poor Ross Perot make this mistake talking to the NAACP back in 92

http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~apsc/history/1996/dp1105...

It does not have to be.

It is a term used to get a groups attention.

I think if it were used you would know whether or not it was being directed as a racist comment.

Yes, and it can be any ethnic group against another.

yes, because the pronoun is directly removed from i