Jacque W asked in Games & RecreationToys · 1 decade ago

All my daughters friends have American Girl dolls. I can't afford one at $90 bucks a doll?

My daught said that one of her friends told her that at Christmas time yo can get the dolls for free somehow. Does anyone out there know how I can get a discounted or free american girl doll for my daughter?

Favorite Answer

I don't think you can get one for free- that was probably wishful thinking. before i shelled out the money to get my daughter one i checked ebay. oddly enough, the bids and shipping surpassed the price at american girl. will she settle for a generation girl doll? disney had a bunch of 18 inch dolls (brand new) on shopzilla that were on sale for $15 dollars and were high quality. or instead of buying her a bunch of little things for xmas, buy her 2 things she really wants.

American Girl dolls ARE expensive, and by the time your daughters are 13 or 14 they will think they are babyish and won't ever use them again. So, think about how you want to spend your money. First off, there probably IS a way to get a free American Girl doll, but only if your name is chosen from some raffle or other, and it's unlikely that your name will be chosen. So go to Amazon or eBay and you can get them for low prices, plus, get sales on shipping. Or you could get a Look Alike Doll or My Generation Doll for a lot less. They sell them at Target and places like that. Good luck finding a doll!

I hope you are not disappointed that I do not know the answer but I may know something helpful. I could never justify putting aside that kind of scratch for a doll but my mother did subscribe to the magazine. It had lots of information on new dolls and special offers and books included with every doll. I'm thinking if you subscribe to their mailing list, there may be a contest along the way or holiday deals. If you already hae all that information, I'm sory I dont have more to tell except for the site helps u make a wish list.

Hello. If you're asking how much you should sell it, Felicity is a retired doll. So a lot of people didn't get her. Better start it of with $22.99. Then if nothing happens,lower the price. Or sell it to people at Ebay.

Here are some suggestions:

1. try e-bay

2. how about an American Girl "imposter" doll? Would that work? ANY toy store will carry dolls that are similar to American Girl dolls. I think one line is called My Scene.

3. can Grandma & Grandpa help with the cost?

Good luck! :)

I think it is best to teach a child to appreciate what they have. "Stuff doesn't make you happy" is my motto. I suggest to teach your kid that just because her friends have something, she doesn't have to have it. Or tell her if she has the money, she can buy one. It can be a hard concept to start - she won't like it - but it is worth it on the long run. Otherwise you'll get into the tail spin of oh, now we have the doll, now we have to have the brand-name accessories. If you can't afford it, it is better not to go there.

If she must have new dolls, I recommend the groovy girls dolls instead, they are fun, cuddly, and you can buy outfits for them as well. They are around $15.

Make friends with someone that works there they get a 30% discoount! I got my daughter one for her birthday but UPS deliverewd it to the wrong adress (my fault) & we never got it back...whoever that lil girl was I hope she loved the doll!

• jenny

I know how you feel. but i dont think you can get the dolls... and just because her friends have a doll dont mean she should... SHe needs to learn her own ways and not follow the crowd!

• Bailey

free---maybe on some scam site like sign up for this and then have your friedns sign up etc.....

i would try ebay for a discount on the doll

this is a good time to teach your daughter that just because everyone else has it does not mean she has to have one too.

Then look for one that is discounted and she will be pleasantly surprised when you do find one.