Cy

Did I have sex at the right time after using an ovulation kit?

My husband and I have been trying to conceive but have had no success. So I bought an ovulation predictor kit early Feb. My period started Feb. 6th, and I started testing 10 days after my cycle started b/c I have a 27-28 day cycle. (Based on what the box said.) I detected my surge at day 14 in the morning. We had sex the night before, and then we had sex the day that I detected the surge, but we didn't have sex after that for almost a week. I've read several questions on here that say ovulation doesn't take place for days after the surge is detected.

So did I have sex at the wrong time to get pregnant and what are the chances that I was successful? Also, I'm anxious to test, but I don't want to waste tests. (I've done that before and then felt dumb.) So, when should I start testing and it'd actually show up if I was pregnant?

Favorite Answer

First, you should wait 14 days after ovulation or when you miss a period to take a pregnancy test for the most accurate results. As for the ovulation tests, you did have sex at the right time. When you get a positive on the ovulation test it means you will be ovulating within 12-24 hours. Sperm can live for 5 days in a woman's body, so you most definitely hit the mark. Now it's just a waiting game. Good luck!

A friend of mine did just the same thing. Ovulation tests give you a 24-48 hour window of when you're going to ovulate. From what my friend said about them and from what you've done, I'd say you had sex at the right time.

Best of luck!!!