At what pitch does a roof become unsafe to walk on?

• John L
    Favorite Answer

People can even fall off a flat roof. They are all unsafe to a point. Any pitch just makes it more so.

I built my 2 story log home in 1991 and me and a buddy roofed it, some 4L12, some 8L12 pitch. I've been on it sveral times since in maintenance, antenna, etc .... and this year I want to re-roof over with metal. I never used one before but this year, I'm 61 soon and I'll be using harnesses for me and buddy and maybe even a chicken ladder if it ain't in the way. Even back in 1991, when I was 37, that far end up near the peak with a 25 plus foot drop was a little high, you only get to fall like that once.

joey is right 9/12 is pretty hard to stick to. I would not go steeper than 6/12 finishing as you go often the staples holding the paper will pull through and the breaks get put on when you hit the ground. With the proper equipment I have shingled barn roofs that run vertical for the first few feet.I would agree any roof regardless of pitch can be dangerous!

• kayak

Over the years I have found that age is a factor. My roof is 6/12 and 10 years ago I ran all over it. Now you could not pay me to go up there.

Important point - if you contract for roof work (or any other work on your home) and the contractor is not licensed and insured you expose yourself to liability in the event a worker is injured while working on your house. If the company is licensed and insured they will use best practices with regard to working on the roof. The last thing a licensed and insured contractor wants is an accident that results in an increase in their already expensive Workers Compensation Insurance.

• Joey

I've worked on some pretty steep roofs. I'm not afraid of heights but it still was pretty scary trying to work on them. I think anything more than a 8 inch rise per 1 foot pitch would be too steep for anyone with a fear of heights to walk on.

I can only speak for myself, but once a pitch is over an 8/12 i cannot walk on it without toeboards.

I would think anything steeper than a 45 degree angle (12/12 pitch). would be unsafe to walk on.

experienced roofers can easily walk a 6/12 and very carefully a 7/12.

if you have proper shoes, (cougar-paws for instance), you can walk a 7/12 and VERY carefully walk 8/12

i've seen roofers work 10/12 with only a 3' x 3' x 4" piece of foam to sit on and no other protection for falling

6/12 was enough for me, but i'm just an electrician . some roofers are like cats up there.

Any roof if it's as windy at your house as it is at mine.