My computer reboots (restarts) after about 3 minutes when Windows opens and the desktop is shown, please help?

I'm using Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. The problem is that after about 3-4 minutes when windows opens and I run any program (or even wait a little bit) the computer suddenly slows down and restarts. Please provide me with any steps or software that I can use to restore my computer.

Please keep in mind that:

1. I've tried fixing errors in the registry with powerful programs, I made a full system scan (the antivirus was last updated 2 weeks ago.) I've also tried using system restore but all this didn't solve my prblem.

2. Safe mode works fine.

3. I can't connect to the internet in safe mode so that's why I didn't update my antivirus.

4. Not able to connect to the internet doesn't mean I can't do any thing online or download software, as I am using right now a laptop (I wrote this question using it).

Thank you very much for your help, I will strongly appreciate it.

Sorry, because the question was long, I know it was boring to read all this

Favorite Answer

when you boot your machine and press F8 choose 'safemode with networking' update your virus def's and update from microsoft too.

• Because you stated it is fine in Safemode, it sounds like there is either a startup program or service running in the background that is causing the issue.

It could also be caused by a driver that is being loaded when running in normal mode.

To eliminate any background program, or non microsoft service you should test clearing out all of these items that start in Normal Mode, but dont in Safemode.

To do this: Click on start/run and type in msconfig and click ok. This will bring up the system configuration utility. Click on the startup tab and click the disable all button at the bottom Right. Then click on the services tab. At the bottom check the box that is by itself under the list that says Hide all Microsoft services. Then again, click disable all. Apply, close and restart when prompted. Upon reboot check the "dont show this message again" box at the bottom of the window that appears on startup.Try to restart and run the system again, is the problem still present?

If not you can go back into MSCONFIG first go back to the startup tab and check back the first 3 or so boxes then click ok and restart, again check the "dont show this message again" box at the bottom of the window that appears on restarting. Keep adding the checks back until you are able to narrow down which application is causing the issue. Leave this unchecked ,reinstall or update that program.

If it is still present with everything disabled, I would test running a system restore to a time when it was working. System restore can be started in Safemode.

To access system restore, go to Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|System restore and tell it to restore to an earlier time. Then select a date from the calendar when it was last working correctly. Any programs you have installed since then will need to be reinstalled, but your data would remain intact.

I'm going to assume this is a Desktop, but the same is true for laptops, but you might not be able to do what I'm going to suggest to a laptop.

Most of the time, Desktops start doing "spontaneous reboots" for no reason because the processor is overheating. So, open up the case and take a can of compressed air, and blow out the fins of the Heat Sink under the processor fan, they can become clogged with dirt/dust and prevent the fan from reducing the heat of the processor to its designed operating temperature. The obvious thing to look at, also, is whether the fan on the heatsink is working at all, or is it dead, in need of replacement, and the actual culprit in not providing a cooling stream of air thru the heat sink.

Be sure to be cautious when cleaning and not disturb wires, connections, etc, and not to allow the liquid propellant (in the can of compressed air) that turns to gas, to spray on any motherboard components. You may have to turn the case to some vertical position to permit you to hold the can of compressed air vertically as it should be held when spraying.

Also, the dust isn't good to inhale, it can be laden with germs, so wear a dust mask, and maybe do this outside so as not to fill the house with the dust.

Oh, and if the fan blades seem dirty, spray them, too. If the dirt is caked on the blades, take a small brush and dust them off.

Good Luck ! ! !

There might be some problem with power supply. Try changing the SMPS. Before that check that the fans inside the CPU works fine. If they dont, then the Processor gets over heated and thus restarts. Safe mode requires less processing and hence the Processor doesnt get heated enough to restart. The setting in BIOS monitors the temperatures and restarts if necessary.

According you description,you have some spyare problem, you need to remove it.

Run your anti-spyware in Safe Mode.If you have no an excellent anti-spyware or your current anti-spyware can't prevent spyware from Invading you computer,download a better one.

There are top 5 anti-spywares reviews,comparisons and download links on

http://www.spyware-detectors.net/

You can download and scan your PC for free.

As the computer is booting press your "F8 Key" repeatly which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" . Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

After into safe mode,run a anti-spyware to killllllllll the spyware and adware on you pc.

GOOD LUCK!

The computer might have been effected by an Virus that triggers an self-automated clock to shut-off or a serious trojan that is preventing the OS to load, you might have to start over reinstall the OS by doing an format on your hard disk. Make sure you have made an boot disk and have the CD's of the OS, before you perform an format.

When you start computer, hit F8 and pick start from last known good configuration. If it is a hardware issue this should clear it. If you still have problem it's either spyware or overheating. If it was hardware it should remove it from list and you will need updated driver, or replace hardware.

I would go to Microsoft's website and let them run a virus scan/clean on your computer. There is a virus out right now that does that exact thing.

Kicking time