I just got my cartilage in my ear pierced and it hurts really bad. It is swolen and red. Is that normal?

Favorite Answer

don't put any ointments on it because that will keep the infection from draining, don't take it out because skin will grow over the peircing quickly and it won't be able to drain. these type peircings are very painful anyway. wash it while showering and keep it turned regularly, this is easier to do while the area is wet. use seasalt for cleaning, if it is infected you will be able to get it out by squeezing it while cleaning it in the shower. i have 20 peircings and had the same thing happen to me when i had the same type done as you.

I would say it is normal to be red, but since it is swollen I would watch it for a couple more days and put hydrogen peroxide on it constantly and if it stays swollen then take it out. Its ok to be red because it is a new piercing, but being swollen isn't so good. It could be what the earing is made out of, or it could be your body just rejecting the piercing.

If you REALLY want to keep it, deal with the pain and keep it in there and soon or later your body will stop rejecting it. My cartilage used to be a 14 Gauge and I pierced my cartilage myself, and I also pierced my nipples myself. My body did try to reject the cartilage piercing and it swelled but after babying it and cleaning it constantly and forcing it in my ear, my body finally kept it. Just be careful because some people are NOT as lucky as myself and can have major rejection problems with piercings and end up in the hospital because of infections. So make sure you treat it well.

It hurts REALLY bad because its not just tissue! If the swelling or redness doesn't go down or if you see any sort of green/yellow liquid, you should take it out or see a doctor if it gets bad.

Make sure to keep it clean and rotate it and watch closely for any bad signs of infection.

From those I've known who had it done, it can get infected in this area of the ear quite easily. Talk to the people who pierced it, they should be able to tell you what is normal and bad signs.

I had an infection in mine (back when they pierced it with a stud) and it deformed my ear a little bit -- made it stick out a bit on the tip hehe

If you just got it done, you should expect to see some irritation. Apply some first aid ointment like Neosporin or one with lidocaine in it to relieve pain and itching. If the site continues to get red, hot, swell, or start to drain over the next couple of days, go to your local emergency department.

No, it's not normal. Go to the doctor, or at the very least back to where you got the piercing done. My daughters nose piercing got infected, they (the place she got it pierced) cleaned it and gave her a sea salt solution to clean it with.

• hume

it fairly is probably no longer swollen 4 days later, the swelling could basically final 2. clean it fairly good utilising the answer you have been given, use a cotton ball to take up the answer the squeeze it over the earring, juggle the earring as much as you could to evade the ear from therapeutic onto the earring. provide it one extra day, no count if it continues to be swollen tomorrw circulate decrease back to the persons who pierced it and inqire climate it may be bumped off or no longer.... as you could desire to be allergic to the steel and prefer a clean earring positioned it. good success.

I believe mine was swollen for a few days as well. What kind of jewelry do you have in there. You might want to make sure it is hypoallergenic because it could be a nickel allergy.

No, this isn't normal. Remove any earring that you may have in it and have it checked by a doctor as soon as you can.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.

sounds like its infected

see a doctor asap

wash in warm salty water

YES. Keep peroxide or alcohol on it. IF it gets worse go to the DR.