Computer Viruses?

Is there such a thing as a computer virus that seeks out, or is sent to attack another computer virus?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it's called an anti-virus program.

Sorry, just had to get that one in. :)

• Bjorn
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There were a couple of virus writers back in the Blaster worm days that created Viruses that would disable the other guys virus.

I don't know how many are out there, but it does happen.

Keep in mind that a virus that disables the other virus still does damage to your system.

• Pfo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I've never heard of one, but it's not impossible. Generally, it's a bad idea for a virus to assume that another one could be on the system, and since it's a virus and the author was up to no good, why would they attack another virus?

Wait a sec... now that I think about it someone did alter the blaster virus when that came out, it specifically destroyed existing copies of blaster, replicated itself across a network and closed the security hole before terminating itself, preventing blaster from spreading across the network it 'infected'.

• 1 decade ago

It's called mallware, spyware and anti-virus protection. That is what these programs do, disable and quarantine the infected files. Use "Spybot, Search and Destroy", this is what this program does.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.