Should I add epsom salt to my sitz bath for postpartum pain and if yes how much do I add?

I'm having pain in my perineal area (I just had my baby on Feb.20th) and I've already taken 1 of the pain pills I was prescribed and have also sprayed on the Dermoplast spray I was given at the hospital, but it still hurts a little to sit or even stand. I've heard sitz baths can help, but some people have said don't add anything to the warm water and others have recommended adding things like epsom salt, or herbs or essential oils. I have some epsom salt at home right now and am thinking of trying that, but don't know how much to add to the bath water. I don't have a special container to do the sitz bath, I'm just planning on filling the tub with warm water to cover all the way up to my waist. Can anyone let me know if I should add anything to the water such as the epsom salt and how much should I add - o yea and how long should I sit in there for?

Just wanted to add that the Dermoplast spray is helping alot, I don't feel the pain as much as before, but I'd still like to go ahead and try the sitz bath since I heard it speeds up healing time. So please still answer my question about the sitz baths.

Favorite Answer

Ive heard that epsom salt really helps if you have had tears. Only sit it in for about 20 minutes... remember, epsom salt is a laxative... so you may have those same side effects from soaking (I did.... lol). And only use about 2 cups salt.

Source(s): Experience.. and others...
  • mattes

Epsom Salt Sitz Bath

• paik

Sitz Bath Epsom Salts

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm having pain in my perineal area (I just had my baby on Feb.20th) and I've already taken 1 of the pain pills I was prescribed and have also sprayed on the Dermoplast spray I was given at the hospital, but it still hurts a little to sit or even stand. I've heard sitz baths can help,...

Source(s): add epsom salt sitz bath postpartum pain add: https://biturl.im/vZ1Cp

Yeah, try the sitz bath, but only with warm water, I would think that by adding epsom salt, it would burn a bit....its salt. You might try using tucks pads, not only when you use the restroom, but lay them on your pantliner, or pad in your panties, and change them everytime you potty. Also make sure you clean yourself thoroughly every time you use the restroom, maybe try a squeeze bottle(not a spray bottle) with warm water in it to rinse the area afterwords. I wouldnt WIPE w/ toilette paper either, just pat, and use the tucks to wipe after bowel movements, or a warm washrag.

Instead of Epsom Salts try Baking Soda instead ...10 -15 minutes should be fine...whatever you feel like - and dont forget to do KEGEL Excercises! Especially when you stand up or sit down....It will be better soon!

I would ask your doctor. When I gave birth in September I was really sore as well, could hardly sit, could hardly stand, I just relaxed as much as I could and in time the pain went away. If you tore thats probably why it hurts. I tore really bad and I was in pain for almost a month. The doctor said I was fine and just recommended rest, and that worked best for me.

Also the area needs air to heal, so if at all possible, try sleeping with nothing on, I know your probably bleeding still but if you can put something under you so you can sleep with nothing on, it helps heal the area faster.