how would you accurately weigh somebodies head, without removing it from his or her person?
- Anonymous1 decade agoBest Answer
This is very easy and simple. We've done this in our Physics class when we were learning about weight, density, displacement, and behaviour of fluids. Note that this is only one of the three methods that I know. This method uses the % (percentage) rise of water level of head over body, i.e. head level rise divided by body level rise, multiply this by actual body weight as measured by the accurate weighing scale, then you get the weight of head. There is a reason why we use a cylindrical tank in this case.
1. Weighing scale
2. Cylindrical Water tank, preferrably the one used in hydro therapy clinics
Note: the hydro tank has accurate water lever measurements
3. One person willing to strip down to just underwear (so as to get the most accurate measurement)
4. Step ladder, at least same height as water tank.
Procedure (with simplified example to show the answer)
1. Weigh the person using the scale. E.g. 98 pounds.
2. Measure the water lever in the tank. E.g. 60 inches.
3. Dip the whole body of the person into the tank and measure the water level. E.g. 72 inches.
For the whole body, there was 12 inches of water rise: that's 72 - 60 = 12
4. Move the step ladder beside the tank. Person will climb to the top of the ladder and bend in such a way that he will dip just his head into the tank. Measure the water level rise. E.g. 61.3 inches
For the head, there was 1.3 inches of water rise: that's 61.3 - 60 = 1.3 inches.
% level rise = (1.3 div 12) = 0.1083333 or 10.83%
therefore, based on % level rise:
weight of head = 10.83% of 98 pounds
= 0.1083 X 98 = 10.61 pounds
We could also use density as the factor to measure the weight of the head, and this involves getting the accurate density of the water. In any case, this will also work. But the easiest method is the one I presented above.
- tlbs101Lv 71 decade ago
1. Get a big tank of water (one that will hold the person, floating).
2. Get a bigger pool so you can catch all the water that spills off of the first tank.
3. Fill the first tank with water, all the way to the brim, so it is almost overflowing.
4. Put your person in the first tank, and float them so their head is above water.
5. measure the weight of the water that spilled out of the first tank
6. subtract the weight of the spilled water from the weight of the person. This is your answer.
7. This will be fairly accurate, since our bodies are mostly water, anyway. You could add a "fudge" factor of about 25-30% to make it a little more accurate.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
1. Get a (very) large metric measuring cup and a friend.
2. Fill with enough water to fully submerge your head.
3. Dunk head in water.
4. Have friend measure volume of water displaced in cubic centimeters. (Hope he can measure quickly.)
5. Unless my memory of high school physics is mistaken-- which is possible, given that it was 19 years ago-- that should be the mass of your head in grams.
- bonnettLv 43 years ago
Raj, the appropriate thank you to finally finally end up with a crisp exterior and yummy moist interior is to take a million great poultry, rinse it and dry out the interior and out of doorways with paper towels. when you have dried the poultry, set it on a roasting rack a pair of million to 2 inches off of a cooking pan or glass lasagna pan.(it rather is important to no longer have the poultry sitting in it fairly is very own juices.) next butter the exterior of the poultry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. turn oven on and set temperature to 4 hundred ranges. while oven is as much as temperature of four hundred ranges, place the finished cooking pan and poultry into the oven and prepare dinner for 20 minutes at 4 hundred ranges. Set a timer for this. while timer beeps decrease warmth in oven to 350 ranges, (or in the experience that your oven runs warm like mine does, set to 325 ranges.) Now take a stick of Imperial margerine, take a million/2 the paper off of it and carry the top with paper on it as you rub the butter onto the poultry, throughout to baste the poultry. You try this some circumstances as you permit the poultry prepare dinner for yet another half-hour on the recent temperature.(set timer). do no longer butter the final ten minutes. (this could crisp the floor imparting you with that yummy roasted poultry you're in seek of. After the timer beeps verify the poultry for doneness by skill of working a fork into the thickest component to the thigh. If the juice runs sparkling from the fork holes, the poultry is achieved. important***sparkling juice is the attempt for a thoroughly performed poultry in this and all poultry recipes. If the juice is cloudy(milky) it fairly isn't any longer performed! eliminate the poultry from the pan and place on a platter. permit the poultry set on the counter for 5-10 minutes mutually as you're making your gravy and set out your side dishes. you ought to use the pan drippings for a marvelous gravy if needed, (Ask your mom the thank you to try this.*smile) some reported side dishes for this meal are: Corn, mashed potatoes & gravy, tossed salad, boxed stuffing, etc. To Serve poultry decrease or tear it aside, it fairly is going to exceedingly much fall off the bone even nevertheless it could have moist meat and scrumptious crisp pores and skin. Voila~ the appropriate roasted poultry and rather undemanding to make. anybody that reads this could desire to attempt it! I even have given you a real kinfolk popular right here! good success!
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- R.E.M.E.Lv 51 decade ago
Lay them on the floor and rest their head on the bathroom scale.
- JOANNA BLv 41 decade ago
Why would you want to weigh someone's head?
- 1 decade ago
It’s child play! Just measure its volume, and then see its density in a special book (for instance, “Handbook of heads density”). Then we calculate the unknown by multiplying the volume and density. See, it’s very easy to do!
P.S. by the way, do you know that different races have different head density values? negro and asians heads is light in weight and white people (People) have more solid heads.
- PearlLv 51 decade ago
You could make them lie down on the floor and rest their head on the scales? I don't know, any better suggestions out there.. :)
- 1 decade ago
Get them to lay flat on the floor and use the scales as a pillow?
- magicLv 41 decade ago
Ha Ha Ha Thats a good one.
Will have to check back for the answer myself :-)