Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

Is wine good for you?

Can somebody give me some pro's and con's about White and Red wine... Or just wine in general.

I must also mention i'm on the atkins diet...

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Is wine good for you? The answer is, “Yes!” There’s lots of research providing proof that there really are health benefits from drinking wine.

Flavonoids from the skins and seeds of red grapes are the key to wine being good for you. These flavonoids lower your risk of coronary heart disease by reducing your LDL or bad cholesterol levels. At the same time these flavonoids actually increase your HDL or good cholesterol levels and decrease the likelihood of blood clotting.

Scientists believe that there may be other health benefits from red wine. A recent study discovered that an antioxidant in the skins of red grapes, called resveratrol, may inhibit the growth of tumors in some cancers. It’s possible that resveratrol can help treat Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s as well and new studies are on the way.

Are some wines better for you than others? Again, the answer is, “Yes!” Researchers at University of California at Davis have concluded that full-bodied dry red wines contain the highest levels of flavonoids and provide the greatest benefits. The number one wine for supplying the most flavonoids is Cabernet Sauvignon with Petit Syrah and Pinot Noir also ranking highly. Sweeter wines and white wines have less flavonoids and are less beneficial.

How much should you drink? Moderation is the key. Women should drink 4 ounces of red wine daily with a meal and men 4-8 ounces.

Pour yourself a glass of red wine and drink to your health. Cheers!

If you're on the Atkins Diet, you're not allowed to have wine at all because wine does have carbs. That's one reason I don't do Atkins -- any diet that requires you to cut out or severely restrict nutrients your body needs (like carbs) is unsafe.

To answer your question: Red wine is very good for you because it has compounds called flavonoids that can help lower your blood pressure and your cholesterol. My doctor told me I should drink one glass of red wine a night, so I took his advice. White wine doesn't have the flavonoids that red wine has, but there is some research out there that suggests white wine has the same blood-pressure-lowering effects as red. Again, one glass a day is the most you should drink.

Red table wine

Nutritional value per 100 g

Energy 80 kcal 360 kJ

Carbohydrates 2.6 g

- Sugars 0.6 g

Fat 0.0 g

Protein 0.1 g

Alcohol 10.6 g

10.6 g alcohol is 13 vol%.

100 g wine is 100 mL (3.4 fl oz.)

Sugar and alcohol content can vary.

Source: USDA Nutrient database

See also: Alcohol consumption and health

The health effects of wine (and alcohol in general) are the subject of considerable ongoing study. In the USA, a boom in red wine consumption was touched off in the 1990s by '60 Minutes', and other news reports on the French paradox.

There have been many studies done that actually show wine can be beneficial to health. The FDA has suggested that one to two glasses of red wine per day might help reduce cholesterol and decrease the chances of cancer.[citation needed] Studies have shown that alcohol may benefit many bodily organs, including the heart and the brain. However, the benefits are available only when wine is taken in moderation as over consumption of alcohol including wine can cause some diseases including cirrhosis of the liver and alcoholism.[24] Also the American Heart Association recommends that people not start drinking if they do not already drink alcohol just to gain the benefits that wine provides.[25]

The French paradox refers to the lower incidence of heart diseases in France than in the USA, despite high levels of fat in the traditional French diet; this is attributed to their high consumption of wines. Grapes grown without fungicides develop fungi-protecting chemicals, which have properties beneficial to the heart. Muscat grapes have been found to have those chemicals in concentrations five times stronger than other kinds of grapes.[citation needed]

Yeah if you are on atkins NO WINE ... My best friend is in the hospital she was on the atkins and they think it caused some damage.... But in general I like white wines better they have better flavor!

Doctor told me that if you are feeling bad drink a glass of red wine. I have tried it & it mad me feel better the next day

Here is one source of list of benefits

http://www.beekmanwine.com/prevtopab.htm

white wine does have its own unique benefits, esp to lungs from what i read

wine is basically the best alcoholic beverage there is, and that is because of the grapes which are high in antioxidants

but it is still alcohol so dont overdo it, and drink it cause you LIKE to drink it as well

• Oz

Red wine is good for you. It's high in anti-oxidants and the tannins help in blood enrichment.

i am on Chianti diet and it works GREAT-or least i feel great

i don't know..