Electric Dog Fence..?

Normally, I would say this form of pet containment is cruel. But after adoping my husky I've begun to look at it in a different light. My husky is an escape artist. She is able to jump my backyard fence in a single bound. And, she does it right in front of me sometimes. And, when she gets out, she will NOT... show more Normally, I would say this form of pet containment is cruel. But after adoping my husky I've begun to look at it in a different light. My husky is an escape artist. She is able to jump my backyard fence in a single bound. And, she does it right in front of me sometimes. And, when she gets out, she will NOT listen to any commands, and will not come back. So when in the backyard I have to keep her on a chain (a long one). I want her to be able to run free and play in the backyard, but I'm afraid of her getting loose and getting hurt... or running away.

So, how effective are electric fences? All opinions or alternative suggestions welcome.

Additional info: She has completed basic obedience. She listens to commands and is a good dog... unless she gets out... then it's all over. She gets regular walks... and plenty of attention.
Update: I would love a taller fence... but that would be THOUSANDS of dollars. Which, is a tough bill to pay. I don't want an "electrified" fence because I live in a normal neighborhood where the fences divide yards. And I wouldn't want to shock of friendly neighbor or their children. :) Is it... show more I would love a taller fence... but that would be THOUSANDS of dollars. Which, is a tough bill to pay.

I don't want an "electrified" fence because I live in a normal neighborhood where the fences divide yards. And I wouldn't want to shock of friendly neighbor or their children. :)

Is it easier to train a dog with a chain link fence in already in place? Wouldn't a dog start to be weary of "hanging around the fence" because of the potential shock?