Which type of Visa can my husband file for me to USA?

The truth is my husband is canadian citizenship, but he had been lived in USA for more than 20 years now. He is a permanent residence in USA. I am Chiese. we got married in China. We would like to go home(USA) together. But we dont know what type of visa can he file for me on this situation? Would prefer to see any website can show us what to do. Your reply and help will be appreciate. Thanks so much!

6 Answers

  • HJW
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Petition for Alien Relative :

    Purpose of Form :

    A citizen or

    # lawful permanent resident of the United States #

    may file this form to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States. A separate form must be filed for each eligible relative. Please note: USCIS processes Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, as a visa number becomes available. Filing and approval of an I-130 is only the first step in helping a relative immigrate to the United States. Eligible family members must wait until there is a visa number available before they can apply for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident.

    Number of Pages :


    Edition Date :

    1/5/07. Prior versions acceptable.

    Where to File :

    A petitioner residing in the United States should file Form I-130 at the Service Center with jurisdiction over the petitioner's place of residence.

    Filing Fee :


    Special Instructions :

    Version Notes:

    This 1/5/07 version is substantially the same as the 12/4/06 version. It has been revised to address technical issues from users filling out the form on their computer.

    Dhttp://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5a... I-130 (476KB PDF)


    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Your husband will need to sponsor you as a spouse. He will need to file a Petition for Alien Relative on your behalf. However, since your husband is only a permanent resident himself, you will have to wait until a visa number becomes available for you. Right now, the current wait time for a spouse coming from China is almost 5 years for visa processing.

    However, if your husband were to become a US citizen, you would qualify for an immediate visa number, which would reduce your wait time significantly (about 1 year for the petition processing and the interview at the consulate.)

    I recommend that you and your husband consult with a Board Certified Immigration Attorney or an Attorney who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association for a full explaination of all your options.

    Source(s): I'm a lawyer currently practicing Immigration law.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Lawfully,since you guys are married outside the USA, you should be entering the country with a spouse visa since he is sponsoring you to stay,not for a short term visit.I am not sure whether he can sponsor you to be a permanent resident when he is not a citizen,the USA have different policies for diferent citizens who immigrated here.The best thing to do is to check out the goverment website itself www.uscis.gov

    Good luck!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • loch
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    there's a US Immigration has a internet site you may examine. This internet site is part of the dep. of fatherland protection. you'll be able to could start up there on your seek. in the experience that your husband is an eternal resident, then i assume he holds a green Card. this could make it incredibly undemanding so you might immigrate to the U. S.. in the experience that your husband does no longer carry a green Card, then he may well be residing illegally interior the U. S.. examine your info and confirm of his status. If want be, seek for suggestion from an immigration criminal expert. they often won't cost for an preliminary consultation.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Your husband needs to file Form I-130 "Petition for Alien Relative" for you. He can download this form from www.uscis.gov. He CAN sponsor you even though he is not a citizen. Good luck!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Jim G
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    He needs to file for a join spouse visa since you are already married...

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.