Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anyone know of a good parenting book? In dire need!!!?

Help Please!!!!!! I am in dire need of a really good parenting book. I have an extremely stubborn, strong willed 3 year old and am at my wits end. I have tried time out, spanking and encouraging good behavior. If you can name it I have tried it. I don't know what to do anymore, I think she may be more stubborn and strong willed than me and I didn't think that possible until now. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Here is a list of some GREAT parenting books!

Children: The Challenge by Rudolf Dreikers

Presents no-nonsense advice and techniques for dealing with many misbehaviors using natural and logical consequences.

Redirecting Children’s Behavior by Kathryn J. Kvols

Provides many techniques to guide families to become close, cooperative, and respectful. Provides great ways to set limits in positive ways. Helps solve the “mystery” of why children misbehave.

Discipline Without Tears by Rudolf Dreikers

Stresses encouragement, cooperation, and disciplining children lovingly and effectively.

P.E.T. Parent Effectiveness Training by Thomas Gordon

Addresses issues of family communication, conflict resolution, and raising responsible children without shame or punishment.

Discipline That Works by Thomas Gordon

Provides evidence that punitive discipline and punishment are harmful to children and are ineffective as a means to fostering children’s good behavior. Provides strategies to help children control their own behavior.

Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

Very good for “strong willed” children. Provides specific tools to work with “spirited” children.

Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn

Highly compelling argument against the use of extrinsic praise (“Good job!”), prizes, and reward systems in child rearing. Presents alternative, more effective, means to raising well behaved, creative, highly achieving children.

Guiding Young Children by Eleanor Reynolds

Practical problem solving techniques that exclude the use of punishment, blame, or guilt. Presents techniques for developing listening skills, negotiation, conflict resolution, and setting limits.

My favorite books are the Discipline Book by Dr. Sears and How to Become the Parent You Want to Be. A collection of my faves can be found at the link below. Good luck! You need to try and analyze the function (what purpose it serves her) of her negative behavior (is it avoidance, to get attention, etc). Once you know the function of the behavior, you can find a more positive replacement that serves the same purpose for her. In addition, it is essential to examine the antecedents that set her off. It may be in your power to advert negative behavior by changing the stimulus that comes before the behavior. I hope this makes sense! I also have a strong spirited child and three was her worst year. It does get better!

http://astore.amazon.com/ecochildsplay-20/detail/0...

You can read my blog on natural toys and parenting at

http://www.ecochildsplay.com/

Your daughter's strong spirit will be an asset to her later in life if she learns to use it appropriately.

1-2-3 Magic. Totally simple methods. You don't have to read the entire thing just to get started. Best of all it takes the power struggles out. Some kids are definitely more challenging than others, and this book works!

an excellent parenting book is Creative Correction by Lisa Whelchel. She gives ideas for correcting and preventing bad behavior in ways that children can understand, appreciate, and remember. She takes a christian perspective, but even if you arent christian, or dont agree with some of her discipline ideas, the book will help you come up with ideas of your own. She teaches you how to tailor typical discipline to your own child's personality. I use this book all the time in my job as a preschool teacher, and it really really works.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Correction-Lisa-Whe...

Another book that I havent personally used, but i know several parents/teachers who adore it is "Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes...in You and Your Kids," by Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller. As I say, I havent actually read it, but I hear alot of great things. It is rated five stars on amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Whining-Complaining-...

One piece of advice : use your daughter's behavior as cues. Even when she is just playing or not interacting with you, her attitude and personality can give you some sort of hint as to what corrective tools you can use to help encourage good and discourage bad behavior. Use the books only as a guide or tool, and use your instincts above all else. often times, bad behavior can seem magnified by your own stress.

Good luck!

I am a subscriber to child magazine. This magazine gives advice from getting ready for child birth to things you can do to deal with trantrums and how to make life easier you by giving you some stradegies on helping your child when they are in need. It helps me alot.

your mother is a good source of information,

three years old, does she always ask why?

or is she angry alot and doesnt want help? i think it's a good thing for her to have a younger sibling, because she would want to be protective of her and play with her. another thing that could help would be telling them that that's not nice and say " i'm sorry we dont play with our toys like that, can you hand it to me? and i'll give it back when your ready to start acting like a big girl" speaking to her and asking her questions, maybe she cant talk yet and she's frustrated about communication. just be patient and understanding

Source(s): my sisters' kids

get your child checked for some chemical problem then if that's nothing then go for books otherwise you could be spinning your wheels...that is unless you've traumatized your child already which doesnt sound like it. lol

the one thing with dealing with stubborn kids is consistency. even if you're exhausted. consistency. follow thru w/ every single threat of a consequence.

• ?

Katania (small in Hebrew) Petty (petite skill small...yeah, in any case) Samalia Rochelle (conflict cry in German, small rock in French) Nita (zanita skill small apple in Spanish) Farrow (it skill gray in old English) Audey (noble potential) Mena (knowledgeable)

The KJV Bible

Author GOD

that's all the help you'll ever need