thebyrdsx5 asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Is Rice Dangerous for a Goat to Eat?

I am breeding Nubian Milk Goats. Someone mixed in some rice w/my goat feed. I wasn't going to feed it to them and my daughter went out to feed them and I forgot to tell her, so they ate some white rice. Is this dangerous for them? Will it swell up in their stomaches? Is there anything I can do for them? Thanks, Any advice would be helpful. I've only been breeding for a year and don't know what to do.

Favorite Answer

Not really.

I have had Nubian's for a few years now and I wouldn't think the rice would hurt them just watch them. Put baking soda out for them to nibble on and help if they start getting a little bloat. Contrary to POPULAR OPINION Goats do NOT eat everything and anything. they are actually are very picky eaters. They are related to deer and are browsers not grazers and cows will actually eat more trash then a goat will. There is a Nubian yahoo group that has a lot of info its call Nubian Talk. I have listed several other good goat sites in sources.A good book to get is Storey's guide to raising milk goats. There are several books on dairy goats check your local library. Hope they are okay. I am very partial to my nubian girls. I have 13 right now and 3 more to kid soon!!

Source(s): www.fiascofarm.com www.goatweb.com www.adga.org

Rice is a grain and is much less dense than most grains typically fed to livestock. To agree with a couple other answers: a small amount of most things is generally harmless and it is a myth that birds will explode if fed rice.

I don't know that there is much nutritional value in rice but since goats are a rumminant and rice is a grain loaded in carbs. then they should have no problem digesting it.

Goats can eat any thing there stomach can digest clothes cans all kinds of garbage so rice would be a good thing

I have a few goats myself but I don't know a lot about them let but maybe you could give them something to make them go to the bathroom that might help them digest it but if it an't much rice Iwouldn't worry about

I don't believe rice will hurt them. They will eat about anything and would rather eat weeds, bark, and anything else that smells good to them before they eat grass.

No, it shouldnt be. Only if you cook the rice first. i wouldnt recommend feeding them non cooked rice.

no it i'snt , its just like normal food but if u feed it in excess surely a problem can come cause every thing is fine in a limit n u must not also put in a habit or else a problem will rise ..............

That whole thing about rice killing birds is a myth.

It shouldn't hurt them

Source(s): I've raised Nubians