Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificPhilippines · 1 decade ago

Why do so many?

retirees from the U.S military live here and how much do they make a month

Favorite Answer

1. I prefer living on a beautiful Island in the tropics where it never snows.

2. My wife is from the Philippines and I like being part of a large caring family.

3. The people here are friendly and mostly English speaking.

4. 48 Philippine Pisos to a $ affords me a comfortable income.

I can afford a maid and a driver. I have a nice home in a nice subdivision for the price of a doublewide mobile home. I can go out to lunch/dinner and have a good steak dinner in one of the nicest resturants in the city with beers and spend less than $10.

I don't pay sin taxes here for my beer and cigarettes. A case of good beer San Miguel Pisen costs me $7.50 instead of $ 30 for a case of Budweiser and one carton of cigarettes here costs less than what I used to pay for a pack stateside.

5. I have good medical care for me and my wife availiable here that is covered by my medical insurance from the military (Tricare).

6. I am 46 years old and retired for life. I could never do that in the states. I am still young enough to enjoy my life after 23 years of service to my country.

It depends on years of service and rank at retirement as to how much and if your recieving disability payments/SS. $1,400 a month and up.

Source(s): I am retired U.S. Navy and have been living in the Philippines the past 5 years. Yahoo Group Living in the Philippines 3.
  • Rick

A few US military retirees make USD 2000 to USD 5000 a month, but they are quite few. I am a retired Lieutenant Colonel, and my retirement is USD 2100 per month. Enlisted people make much less. This amount would be quite small in the US, but comfortable in The Philippines. I am considering retiring there, myself.

They live there because they don't have to work and can live off of their retirement pay. Also, a lot of them were stationed there when the bases were open and may have Filipina wives or family.

Military retirements depends on rank and number of years served...and generally run from $2,000 to $5,000 per month.

Americans retired servicemen wanted to stay in the Philippines. for sure to have their lives be fulfilled before they died. That's their freedom of choice to have Philippines as their retirement haven. They can live happily here in the Philippines...because they are free...they are freddom loving people the same as the Filipinos.

It is good for us, for our economy as long as they are following our Law of the Land.

Maybe they were fortunate enough to have been stationed here or spoken to guys who were, and know what a nice place it is! I want to retire here too, even though i'm not from the US military.

I think their pensions vary according to rank and service years, as with private companies.

live where? i thought your question means military retirees live in here in US? sorry for that. a news is fress on my mind.

I have a friend who is retired US Marine he gets over 9,000 a month 3600 from the military 3500 from the VA and something lke 2400 a month from social security

because they live like a king over there. retirement money can buy them a lot of things and do so many. plus food is good, they have maids, cooks, driver etc...

they're waiting for Douglas MacArthur's return

because they feel superior here. with their height. joke