Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Any advice on SSI and SSDI continuing disability review from Social Security Disability?

How can I make the social security office understand that I tried working 3-4 hours a day and I get nasty symptoms. It seems the people at social security don't understand that my schizoaffective bipolar I type disorder symptoms come back when I am under a little bit of stress or some stress. I get mood swings going from irritated and angry/hostile toward my parents and not being able to fall asleep until after 3-4am.

I am only 24 yrs old now and been kicked out of the army reserves 3 years ago cuz I had homicidal and suicidal thoughts for at least 6-8 months. The bad thing is that I tried killing my grandmother but this was cuz i was very irritated and having mood swings. I qualified for SSI and SSDI both and took risperdal, zoloft, ativan. Now i only take seroquel 600mg and lithobid 1500mg a day. I heard that a some people working in there don't know what they're doing. I can't wait to have my disability taken to a judge cuz i heard it takes 2 years. is there any hope? i feel unstab

12 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Schizoaffective disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis describing a situation where both the symptoms of mood disorder and psychosis are present. The disorder usually begins in early adulthood, and is more common in women.

    There are two sub-types of schizoaffective disorder: the bipolar type and the depressive type. The bipolar type has a better prognosis than the depressive type, which can have a residual defect with the passing of time. Bipolar schizoaffective disorder is more similar to bipolar disorder than schizophrenia. People with bipolar disorder may also suffer from isolated episodes of psychotic symptoms.

    Social security staff are no medico's however they do have medical staff (psychiatrists) that review medical certificates, and liaise with the client, med carts may require to be re submitted every 3 months and if they (social security) accept it as permanent (2 years or longer) you will get Disability benefit. Otherwise you will get only the sickness benefit which is tempoary.

    Maybe your medico needs to complete more details for them to understand your condition. They won't just accept what you say, it needs to be medically confirmed.

    The psychiatric treatment for schizoaffective disorder is a combination of therapy and medicine. A licensed psychiatrist will prescribe different combinations of medicine to the patient in order to find the combination that works. Each person responds differently to medicine.

    Common medicines prescribed to treat schizoaffective disorder:

    Depakote ER

    Lithium salts




    Combining lithium, carbamazepine, or valproate with a neuroleptic has been shown to be superior to neuroleptics alone in schizoaffective patients with manic symptoms. The degree of benefit for an individual patient should be considered carefully, as each of these agents carries an additional set of risks. Lithium-neuroleptic combinations may produce severe extrapyramidal reactions or confusion in some patients. Carbamazepine or valproate are frequently employed when lithium is not effective or well tolerated. Granulocytopenia can occur during the first few weeks of carbamazepine treatment, and neuroleptic blood levels may be increased substantially due to hepatic enzyme induction. Valproate can cause liver toxicity and platelet dysfunction, although those problems are uncommon. More recently, the anticonvulsants lamotrigine and gabapentin have shown promise in the treatment of manic symptoms, although there have been no systematic studies of their use in schizoaffective disorder at this time. Calcium channel blockers such as verapamil may also be an effective treatment for manic symptoms but are seldom prescribed for that purpose. Benzodiazepines such as lorazepam and clonazepam are effective adjunctive treatment agents for acute manic symptoms, but long-term use may result in dependency.

    Often a sleeping pill will initially be prescribed to allow the patient rest from his or her anxiety or hallucinations.

    In addition to pharmaceutical medications, some who suffer from schizoaffective disorder have claimed to benefit from medicinal marijuana (cannabis). This claim, however, has not been substantiated by clinical trials and there is no available clinical literature on effective dosage levels.Additionally, psychiatrists report that with patients who are heavy cannabis users, it is often difficult to separate the symptoms of the disorder from those due to the cannabis.

    People with schizoaffective disorder have a greater chance of returning to a previous level of functioning than patients with other psychotic disorders. However, long-term treatment may be necessary and individual outcomes will vary.

  • 4 years ago


    Source(s): Death Records Search Database :
  • 3 years ago


    Source(s): Free Disability Benefits Evaluation -
  • rickey
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Ssi Disability Review

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    The only help I can offer is to get as much information about your condition in writing. Get it from your therapist and also how it affects you under stressful situations. Get any medical records, records from doctors visits, hospital visits and definitely any records the army has for why you were kicked out. Those records are there and are going to be the most helpful to you. You should be able to call your caseworker and have them get you a lawyer appointed to you by the state. It will be free. In most states it's called legal aid. They will do all the hard work for you. All you have to do is give them names and numbers and they will find all those records for you. Also keep a journal and make sure to write down what happens when you get stressed out in your journal. That way you have some other proof of what happens. Another good thing is if you know some people, friends or family, that can testify to your mood swings and suicidal tendencies. Anyone who can testify for you instead of just you telling them how you feel or what you do when you are stressed out is really important. Don't lose hope. I think you have a really good case. I hope this helped you out some. Good luck.

  • mac
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    You need to have your psychiatrist fill out your disability form-- he would be able to list your diagnosis and explain WHY you can't work. You also should be in therapy - and go faithfully at least 2x a month. The counselor can verify your behavior problems and document them to social security. You have to ask your doctor who prescribes your medicines if HE considers you disabled-- if he says he's not sure or no, then you have to see a lawyer and get another doctor--- good luck

  • swaim
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Ssdi Cdr

  • 1 decade ago

    My daughter has an incurable liver disease. It took her 6 years to get hers, but after she turned 21 years old, I tried to get her to get a disability attorney who deals with getting clients their SSI disability. That is the way to go. The attorney will only charge you if you collect. It is a portion of the back pay that you will be awarded. She still had over $3000 even after the attorney took his part, and now she has her disability. The back pay is figured from the date you first filed for your benefits and were denied. Contact a disability attorney, you can find them in the phone book, and you can get a free consultation. My daughter had all her forms filled out by her specialists, and she still got the run around until she got the attorney.

  • 1 decade ago

    social security well just wait in line it takes those people forever if you were discharged from the military for your mental condition seem to me you should be getting a check from the military have you check to see[ if you were not dishonoral discharge] you don't say how long you were there ,you have to keep trying with social security don't give up, they want you 2 do that. you also need a lawyer[some do not charge unless they win your case] look for a lawyer that specializes in social security good luck to you ... fight for your army and social security benefits if you have not realized it yet you are in a war and may the best man win and i hope it will be you!

  • 3 years ago

    Social Security Disability Evaluation :

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.