harry rav asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

airplane converter for plug?

ok so im going on an airplane and in the seats theres a plug in the armrest and i saw in walmart a converter that plugs into that plug and and the other end is a A/V plug. I need it to charge my laptop so whats that name of it and where can i find it

Favorite Answer

Airplanes generally have one of two types of plugs--one is your basic cigarette lighter plug, and the other is called an 'empower' plug (which looks kind of like the plug you use for a keyboard). You can buy a special laptop cord at many computer shops that will be designed to fit in the laptop and both of the airline plugs (it has a small adapter for the empower plug).

At Walmart, you can buy what is known as a power invertor that allows you to run a standard 110 plug off of a cigarette lighter, but these things weigh a ton (relatively speaking) and are bulky and hard to carry. And you have to take your power cord for the laptop as well, so it really is a true pain.

If you are serious flier, get a special laptop cord. It's worth the money and it is very light weight.

Also, check out http://www.seatguru.com/ to see if your seat on the next flight has power. Not all seats do, and some airlines don't use them at all.

Source(s): Fly weekly with my laptop.

I dont know why you would want an Audio/Video plug to charge your laptop... do you mean A/C... or D/C... those can be found at almost any electronics store...

Those have the same current as cigarette lighter adaptors for your car. If you have one of those, you're set.