harry rav asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

airplane converter for plug?

ok so im going on an airplane and in the seats theres a plug in the armrest and i saw in walmart a converter that plugs into that plug and and the other end is a A/V plug. I need it to charge my laptop so whats that name of it and where can i find it

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Airplanes generally have one of two types of plugs--one is your basic cigarette lighter plug, and the other is called an 'empower' plug (which looks kind of like the plug you use for a keyboard). You can buy a special laptop cord at many computer shops that will be designed to fit in the laptop and both of the airline plugs (it has a small adapter for the empower plug).

    At Walmart, you can buy what is known as a power invertor that allows you to run a standard 110 plug off of a cigarette lighter, but these things weigh a ton (relatively speaking) and are bulky and hard to carry. And you have to take your power cord for the laptop as well, so it really is a true pain.

    If you are serious flier, get a special laptop cord. It's worth the money and it is very light weight.

    Also, check out http://www.seatguru.com/ to see if your seat on the next flight has power. Not all seats do, and some airlines don't use them at all.

    Source(s): Fly weekly with my laptop.
  • 1 decade ago

    I dont know why you would want an Audio/Video plug to charge your laptop... do you mean A/C... or D/C... those can be found at almost any electronics store...

  • 1 decade ago

    Those have the same current as cigarette lighter adaptors for your car. If you have one of those, you're set.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.