Citizenship Q?

I have my Canadian and American citizenship. I was not born in either country. I have lived in America, but not in Canada. When I am twenty something, will I have to choose which citizenship I want to keep?

Favorite Answer

Have a read of Rich Wales document on Dual Citizenship. I have included and excerpt below.

Brief overview on dual citizenship.

In general, countries define citizenship based on one's descent, place of birth, marriage, and/or naturalization. That is, you might be a citizen of a given country for one or more of the following reasons:

You were born on territory belonging to, or claimed by, that country (often called ius soli, or sometimes jus soli -- Latin for "right of the soil").

One or both of your parents were citizens of that country (often called ius sanguinis or jus sanguinis -- Latin for "right of the blood").

You married a citizen of that country (though please note that the practice of granting immediate, automatic citizenship to a foreign spouse is far less prevalent today than it was decades ago).

You (or one or both of your parents) obtained that country's citizenship by going through a legal process of naturalization.

The exact details will, not surprisingly, depend on the laws of the country in question. For example, the US limits its application of ius sanguinis by requiring American parents to have lived for a certain period of time in the US before foreign-born children can be entitled to US citizenship by birth. Many countries (Switzerland is one example) do not confer citizenship via ius soli at all, and those which do generally make exceptions for children of foreign diplomats. Automatic citizenship via marriage is rare nowadays; more commonly, marriage may allow one spouse a "fast track" to immigration to the other spouse's country, but a period of non-citizen permanent residence would still be required before the immigrant spouse could obtain a new citizenship via naturalization.

Since there can be several ways to acquire a given country's citizenship, it is possible for someone to be considered a citizen under the laws of two (or more) countries at the same time. This is what is meant by dual (or multiple) citizenship.

A quick not about the marriage thing.

I knew a guy that worked at a job I worked at and his wife was born in Germany. She DID not become a US citizen automatically when she married him. She had to go thru all the red-tape like everyone else that wants to become a citizen of the USA from somewhere else. Also just for the record, while I was working at that job(several years ago) they had to go to court for something due to her still being a Non-US citizen. I think she got a visa or something like that for awile, and was not yet offically a US citizen, even tho she lives in America and works here and also was married to a US citizen.

Doubt this will help at all, but...

and btw I don't think that you can be denied citizenship at a certain age... once you are a citizen you are always a citizen, unless you want to leave that is then you can apply to the US gov't to not be a citizen anymore.. I duno how it works, but I am sure there is a way to do that.

• Its seems you acquire your citizenship by Naturalization or by any other means.. Good for you for having a DUAL Citizenship. According to U.S. law, you can be a citizen of the U.S. and of another country or other countries.

As long as you are in America you can't abandon your US citizenship, the same thing if you're in Canada you can't abandon your canadian citizenship.

If time will come and you want to reside in Canada, Us Law says that you can abandon US citizenship anytime and swear to become a legitimate canadain.

Do You Give Up U.S. Citizenship When You Become A Canadian ?

Only if you actually intended to give up U.S. citizenship. The State Department presumes a person intends to retain U.S. citizenship when that person obtains naturalization in or declares allegiance to another country.

This actual policy goes against public belief. Have you ever heard these statements?:

"My father was a U.S. citizen...but he gave it up."

"My mother voted in Canada and lost her citizenship."

"The U.S. Consulate once told me I'm not a citizen."

"My father was born in the U.S. but I can't prove it."

"I had to choose what country I wanted when I turned 21

If you are born to multinational parents neither nation's laws will ask you give up citizenship of either.

My daughter was born as an American-British and she will always automatically hold dual-citizenship. This is probably the same as you.

Your question leaves a lot unexplained... You say you have both Canadian and American citizenship, but were not born in either country.......That does not make any sense at all....

There is no way to answer your question the way you have written it.....

If you have dual American and Canadian citizenship, they can't take it away just because you turn 20-something.

Keep both. Noone will make a bigh deal.!