What books have you read because you saw they had been made into a movie or tv show?

Did you read them before or after you saw the movie or tv show or instead of seeing the movie or tv show at all?

I read the great "Bridge to Terabithia" because I saw it was made into a movie. I haven't seen the movie yet but I hear it actually was a pretty good adaptation.

I also read Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series because I saw it was made into a tv series. From the reviews I have read, I am glad I read the books and never saw the show.

• Jebbie
    Favorite Answer

"Farewell My Concubine" by Lillian Lee. Read it after seeing the movie of the same name directed by Chen Kai Ge (chinese movie w/eng subtitles). Both movie and book were great.

this doesn't really count but i read the green mile series when i was pretty young and said that of all his books, this is one that should be made into a movie... and then a couple years later they did but i still haven't seen it.

i am ashamed to say that i didn't read harry potter until after i saw the first movie. now it is my most beloved book, i reread all the time, especially when i'm going through a rough time cuz it is always good and within a page i am absorbed and forget anything that is going on in my real life.

with lotr, i saw the first movie and HATED it. then i read the hobbit (possibly not until after the second movie). once i read the hobbit, i liked the movies a lot a lot. i didn't read the trilogy until about a year and a half ago and i'm glad i saw the movies first because i love the books and would have been annoyed with some of the discrepencies if the movie hadn't been what i came to know originally.

i'm listening to the da vinci code on tape now, though i wanted to read it before it became a movie i am just now getting around to it. i didn't love the movie but i'm liking listening to the audio book a lot.

i just read inkheart and inkspell and shortly after finishing them i learned that inkheart is now in preproduction to become a movie.

• Puff

Yes, most I read after seeing the film.

The Secret Garden

Pollyanna

Bridge to Tereabithia ( I've only seen the original movie made in the 80's)

The Joy Luck Club

Anne of Green Gables

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Fried Green Tomatoes

Shiloh

The Inheritance

Little Women

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Diary of Anne Frank

Little House on the Prairie series

Because of Wynn Dixie

A Walk to Remember

Charlotte's Web

I can't recommend these enough.

Series of Unfortunate Events

Chronicles of Narnia

Started Lord of the Rings (too long for me now)

Aquamarine i read that a few years before the movie came out and might i add the move is almost absolutely NOTHING like the book...but i like the movie better..:)))

and am about to read Bridge to Terabithia because i LOVED the movie and read on wikipedia that there are only minor changes like period, and hair colors so ya

I missed the chance to see Memoirs of a Geisha in the cinema, then shortly after I saw the book in a shop and thought I better read it. I'm SO glad I read the book and then watched the film. I always think that's the better order.

I watched the following before reading the book:

The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares.

The first actually hooked me on Jack Higgins' work and I now own almost 30 of his books :)

• Ralph

Vision Quest by Terry Davis! I saw the movie as a teen and loved it so much I had to read the book. This is a great young adult novel. Probably one of the best.

Most recently I read "Eragon" by Paolini because I saw the movie trailers and intuitively knew that Hollywood would screw up the story somehow. After reading the book first, I saw the movie and realized my initial hunch was correct.

I read "Notes on a Scandal" after seeing the movie and found it to be excellent. The movie is fascinating, too. If I were Zoe Heller, I'd be pleased at the movie made from my work.

• Daddy

Many years ago I read Mario Puzo's "The Godfather" after the movie came out and before I saw it. I enjoyed both.