Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Why is Thousand Island Dressing named as such?

Where are these thousand islands?

• Shahid
    Favorite Answer

Thousand Island dressing is a variety of salad dressing, a variant of Russian dressing, commonly made of mayonnaise, ketchup, and a mixture of finely chopped vegetables, most often pickles, onions, bell peppers, and/or green olives; chopped hard-boiled egg is also common.

It is used both in salads and as a sauce on sandwiches, especially in fast-food restaurants.

Origins

Thousand Island dressing has been cited in print since at least 1912, but there are multiple conflicting stories about its origins:

It was invented at Chicago's Blackstone Hotel in 1910.[1]

Sophia LaLonde invented it in the first decades of the 20th century, substituting mayonnaise for the yogurt used in Russian dressing, and added pickle relish, chives and sometimes chopped, hard-boiled eggs. The dressing was popularized by one of her dinner guests, actress May Irwin, who gave the condiment its name, after LaLonde's home, the Thousand Islands region of upstate New York and Eastern Ontario.

The name refers to the multitude of small specks of pickle usually found in the dressing.

George Boldt, of Waldorf-Astoria Hotel fame, popularized it by instructing his maitre d'hotel, Oscar Tschirky, to put the dressing on the hotel's menu. Boldt had a home called Boldt Castle on one of the Thousand Islands.

Uses

Thousand Island dressing is an ingredient in the popular reuben sandwich, along with corned beef, sauerkraut, and marble rye bread (although sometimes Russian dressing is used instead

Source(s): For more dishes http://afsarmnzkhan.googlepages.com/

I think the Thousand Islands are in New York. Minnesota is the land of a thousand lakes, but I never heard about the islands numbering a thousand. Well, they have more than a thousand, I'd say. I think it was from those resorts upstate in New York. It's based on Russian dressing, which is basically the same thing but I don't think it has pickles, or it's made from chili sauce or...I don't remember. I personally like the taste of it but it looks like puke. So much for eating with the eyes first.

the taste is from like thousands of islands or something I guess

I don't know but that stuff is just "yukkkky"