I'm a 43 year old English guy looking for his birth mother - having being adopted as a child?

I have my original birth certificate which tells me my real mums name and address as the time of the adoption. What do I do now?!?!?! HELP!!!

Best Answer

Try electoral rolls, phone books, the marriage registry generally any place where names are listed. Any of these can be helpful. Another good source of assistance may be the Salvation Army, they have a tracing service. I have been through this myself in Australia and I know that the process can be long and disheartening however for me the experience was worthwhile as I got to know my beautiful mother during the last 4 years of her life. Good luck!

Wow! An *original* birth certificate plus a name! I’m not sure if you’ve had this all along or if you’ve had to do a fair amount of private investigative work on your own to get this, but you have much much more than many US adoptees have. Getting that information is half the battle. I am really happy for you. So, now where do you go from here? Unfortunately being in the US I don’t have a lot of information on UK adoptions, but if I were you my first stop would be search links at the British Adoption and Fostering Association. They are at:

http://www.baaf.org.uk/res/links.shtml#tracing

Best of luck to you!

Well I am not sure if it works the same where you live. You say that your birth Mother's name is on the certificate? That is really different than here. They put my adopted parents name on mine. Well you could search the web for her name.. there are websites that could help you locate her by name and possibly address. I am not sure of how successful this would be. But it is worth a shot. Were in adopted in the states? I wish I could help you out more. I know the feeling of just wanting to meet her. I unfortunately met mine and she is just a lush.. and I am SO glad she gave me up for adoption.. cause I sure would not have made it with her.