There are so many small-name brands of video cards; which brands make good cards and which should be avoided?

In 2004 I bought a connect3d brand video card from tigerdirect.com and had an experience less than ideal. Do you always get what you pay for with these budget cards, or are some brands good while others lacking? Which would you recommend? Is it worth the extra money (possibly twice as much) to get the name-brand... show more In 2004 I bought a connect3d brand video card from tigerdirect.com and had an experience less than ideal. Do you always get what you pay for with these budget cards, or are some brands good while others lacking? Which would you recommend? Is it worth the extra money (possibly twice as much) to get the name-brand card? Or are cards from companies like HIS, Powercolor, and Sapphire just as good?