why did emily bronte gave the title of wuthering heights in her book? why not thrushcross grange?

there were two settings that were mentioned and focused on in the novel but why did she named the novel after wuthering heights?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Wuthering is an old term implying cold, dangerous. It implies topography or external weather creating the danger. It's related to "withering", but that word implies that something internal is causing decline and death. So - the externalities in WH created the danger; for which the landscape itself was a model. Anyway it's a far more poetic title than Thrushcross Grange which sounds like a parsonage with a social disease. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

Wuthering Heights is the much more important dwelling of the two. It is where the story starts, where Cathy and Heathcliff meet and grow up. It is also meant to represent the relationships of the main characters (stormy and a little wild).

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Honestly, do not know how to approach question. Of course Emily Bronte was "advocating" a fierce personal choice way of life, Heathcliffe, the moors are the frame. But as to giving information?? Just read the novel, it stands as an an accepted classic. I personally believe it is one of the greatest novels in English Lit., never to be duplicated in execuation, approach or theme, it's just out there. Vanguard and unique. check out some critical studies, but read the novel.. it really is so special. cute word for a revolutionary way of conveying a story. Personal yet aloof, self-contained yet expansive. Just out of bounds.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I could be wrong but I think when they were kids Emily, Anne, Charlotte and Branwell Bronte (brother) used to write stories to entertain each other and at that time Wuthering Heights was one of Emily's creations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The chosen title is much more romantic as well as mysterious... makes you shiver and expect a good story.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.