Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & Employment · 1 decade ago

Physical therapist, health care administrator, or pharmacist?

Which care is best for me: physical therapist, health care administrator, or pharmacist?

Here is a little about me:

I love anatomy and the whole idea of health & fitness. I also enjoy sports and working out myself. I like talking to people and socializing as well. Also I am an excellent English student and a fairly good Math student, too. I want a career that I will enjoy, make decent money ($60,000+), and not have to go to school over 7 years to become. Also something that is interesting and not just the exact same ol' thing day after day. Right now I work at a local pharmacy (CVS) as a cashier in the store and it seems as though pharmacy is a bit boring. But then again, maybe I am not seeing the whole picture. But after doing a lot of research I can to the above careers and each of them interest me in a different way so based on the info I provided which is best for me?

If there are any other jobs that fit the above criteria and that you think would suit me then do tell! Thanks.

Best Answer

I cannot think of a more fulfilling career than physical therapy for you! Your interests are at the ideals of a PT...health and fitness are our ultimate goals. Our knowledge of anatomy of the neuromusculoskeletal system is extensive (and after 7 years, I still learn more everyday). You will be required to take gross human anatomy.

As a physical therapist, you will have many opportunities to work in a variety of settings including hospitals, rehabilitations centers, outpatient clinics, work hardening programs, schools, private practice, home health, extended care facilities...the list goes on.

While some leave the field due to injury, I would estimate that it is less than other health care professions since part of education and core knowledge is ergonomics...how to do things the right way without hurting yourself. I see far more nurses, patient care technicians, pharmacits, lab techs, and even doctors as patients with work related injuries as opposed to physical therapists. However, it also highly depends on the setting you work in.

My job is never the same day to day. My reasoning and problem solving skills are tested every day. I have seen hundreds of patients for rehab from their total knee replacement...but no two ever act the same!

If you like to "socialize" and enjoy being around people, I think you will get much more fulfillment at a PT as opposed to an adiministrator (who often do not work directly with people) or pharmacist. You get to know most of your patients deeply...I will spend more time with a patient in one wek than most people do with their physician for an entire year.

All PT programs in the US are now either MS or DPT level...the structure of most programs is such that you will complete it in 6-7 years. Math is always a plus...helpful for the chem and physics you will need to take.

Average salary in 2005 for a new graduate was just under $45,000/year, but most PTs with a few years of experience made between $55,000-$65,000.

This is an excellent time to persue PT as enrollment has been dropping...making it somewhat "less competitive" to get into the professional phase.

Source(s): PT
  • Lea

To become a physical therapist, takes about 6-8 years, depends if you do the masters or doctorate program. To become a pharmacist, 6-8 years, depends on if you decide to get a bachelors or not. A health care administrator needs a business background. A degree in health care management is ideal.

A lot of Physical therapists have to retire early for physical reasons.

PT and pharm programs are very competitive.

Source(s): pharmacy student

well with PT, because it is physical, many PTs end up with physical problems of their own. Plus to earn a masters or doctorate is extra expense as far as student loans and insurances will not reimburse you any more if you have a doctorate in PT. Most PTs I know do not like i . They went into it to help people, to get them better, but instead they ended up working in personal injury clinics where patients are trained to stay injured for the sake of their lawsuit. Right now, pharm is a good field, there is a lot of competition to get into the schools, but once you are out , you will have many job offers and paying your loans will not be an issue. Hosp admin might be ok, but you will really have to weigh the cost of education with the earnings in that field and realize that some HA can not find jobs as there is a move away from hospital care and more into outpatient care, plus a lot of hospitals across the country are closing or consolidating.

• Gail

Radiologist (MD with 6-8 years of extra school) physical therapist (HS grad and about 2 years tech school OR a college major in it) pharmacist (pharmacy degrees from college) psychologist (college plus a Master's Degree or PhD) physical therapist in the administrative or management position (you need a college degree plus a Master's Degree in business ... OR maybe a major in PT and a minor in business)

• iraq51

Minimal day to day routine? Hospital administrator then. You will need either a Masters in Health Care Administration and or and MBA in finance.

But I also know several pharmacists that own their own stores and enjoy working for themselves.