I refilled my Lexmark ink cartridge but........?

when I put it in the printer the display on my printer says the ink cartridge is empty. Why is this?? Furthermore, when I print it is not printing properly. Some parts print fine and others print faded - It is basically streaky. I cleaned the printer head of the cartridge using the solution provided and I have... show more when I put it in the printer the display on my printer says the ink cartridge is empty. Why is this??

Furthermore, when I print it is not printing properly. Some parts print fine and others print faded - It is basically streaky. I cleaned the printer head of the cartridge using the solution provided and I have run the "fix horizintal streaks" on my printer, and have also run some other maintenances but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. This is the first time I refilled this ink cartridge so I know the printer head is not damaged. Anyone have any suggestions??