Bolivian & Peruvian Dishes:
Ingredients for 6 people
Thin sliced meat for pounding
2 jalapeno peppers
2 cups of rice
Bread crumbs (Italian)
Oil and salt
Preparation: Cut the fillet meat, and salt. Pound the meat in a bag filled with bread crumbs till the meat is thin and covered in bread crumbs. Cook the potatoes in slices till tender then fry in oil. Fry the breaded meat. Cut the onion, the tomato and jalapenos in thin slices and sautee in little oil till tender (sautéing of this is optional you could just serve it ontop as a cold salad). Fry eggs at the time of serving (sunny side up eggs). Serve the rice with potatoes above that place the meat then the fried egg garnished with your onion salad.
PIQUE A LO MACHO
Which is basically meat cut in 1 inch strips, sautéed with onions (sliced), tomatoes (chopped), sliced hot dogs, and jalapeno peppers also salt, pepper, garlic and cumin. Then mixed together with fresh home made fries. And serve.
Papa a la Huancaina (Peruvian Potatoes with Cheese Sauce)
2 packages (1 lb.) Goya Yellow Potatoes, (Papa Amarilla) thawed and cut into ½ inch thick slices
2 tsp. salt or to taste
1 Goya Aji Amarillo (Yellow Chili), seeds removed
1 hard-boiled egg, peeled
1 can (12 oz.) Nela Evaporated Milk
½ cup diced onion
1 packet Sazón Goya without Annatto
1 lb. queso fresco cheese, cubed or Feta Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
½ large tomato, seeds removed, finely diced
1 cup finely diced onion
2 tbsp. minced cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
Boston or other leafy green lettuce
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut in quarters
1 can (6 oz.) Goya Black Pitted Olives
1. In saucepan put potatoes and salt and water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boil and simmer on medium until potatoes are just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In blender puree Aji Amarillo using a small amount of water if necessary. Pour into bowl.
3. In same blender, add hard-boiled egg and about half of evaporated milk and blend until smooth. Add onion and Sazón and blend until smooth. Continue blending while adding cubes of cheese and remainder of milk, each a little at a time. Use all the cheese and as much milk as needed to make a thick, smooth sauce.
4. Add pureed Aji Amarillo a little at a time to desired heat level. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sauce should be thick and smooth.
5. To make the salsa, combine tomato, onion, cilantro and lime juice in bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste just before serving.
6. Arrange the lettuce leaves on individual plates or one large platter. Place potatoes on lettuce and cover with sauce. Garnish with quartered hard-boiled eggs and whole black olives. Serve with salsa on the side.