dbskluvYUNJAE asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

do root canals hurt?

what do the dentists do to your tooth on a root canal? and does it hurt

• sissy
    Best Answer

After the dentist numbs the tooth he places a small protective sheet called a dental dam over the tooth to isolate the tooth and to keep it dry and free of saliva during the procedure.He will then make a small opening in the tooth and remove the nerve tissue from the roots of the tooth.He will clean and shape the canals and get them ready to be filled. He will then fill the canals with a rubber type material called gutta percha.He will use a adhesive cement to ensure complete sealing of the canals.He will then place a temporary filling in the tooth untill you have the tooth restored with a crown or permanent filling depending on your situation.

For the most part root canals are no different then getting a simple filling done. Most patients are surprised how simple and pain free a root canal is these days.

• Lee

It does depend on you and your dentist. I found it uncomfortable to be forced into the dental dam but the actual root canal was nothing. I don't use the plastic dam devise anymore because of the pain it causes me and I have had a root canal done with regular "freezing" while I kept my own mouth open and tongue back - way less aggravation that with the dam. basically they drill out the centre of your tooth and dig out the root. They use a paper "drills" that they twist into the root canal and pull out the root.

Some people are much more sensitive and require tranquilizers and extra freezing.

They clean out the root of the tooth and place in this pink filling material called gutta percha. It acts as the new rooth sorta. After you will probably have to have a crown placed as the tooth can become weak. Now as far as the pain. I have had two by two diff doctors. The first one didnt hurt at all. The second one was a real horror story. I didnt know the second dr. I was new to the area. If you know and trust your dr you will be fine. If you dont know him/her or dont feel comfortable then look for a new dr you do feel comfortable around and a second opinion never hurts anyway.

it all depends on the person. i had a double root canal done late last year and it did not hurt at all during or after. the drill into your tooth to clean out your root (usually cause there is an infection)

Dentist use some freezing stuff so you want feel the pain. dont know what a root canal is, but I dont think you feel any pain.

Source(s): You will feel a pinch of pain from the needle that will freeze the mouth.

extremely painful,this involves the dentist having to dig the roots out off the gum probably because the tooth has broken off and there is nothing left get hold of!!

i have had this done under local anesthesia(injection in gum),very very painful.

if i need to have it done it again i would ask for general anesthetic

(unconscious)

• F.A.Q.

My 16 yr. old daughter just had one and will be getting another one done next week. She said it hurt a little after the numbness wore off, but she was able to eat pretty quickly after and she's only taken one pain pill, which they gave her a very low dose. She said it hurt a little while he was doing it, but not too bad.

• Linda

Modern dental surgery doesn't really hurt. It is uncomfortable, but rarely will you suffer any significant amount of pain if you follow all instructions given to you by the dentist. You should probably take a couple of pain killers as soon as you're able to drink liquids after the surgery, because once the numbing effect wears off, you may experience pain for a short while (I recently had an extraction and this is precisely what happened to me--trust me, don't take the chance, just take the pills). Root canals do not intrude into the tissues of the mouth the way extractions do, so you're not likely to experience much, if any, discomfort. At worst you will have minor pain localized in that one tooth, but you will find yourself quite capable of moving on with your life almost as if nothing happened. Just be sure to get a proper crown done within a few weeks. If you don't, your tooth may literally crumble inside your mouth.

I don't agree with the answer before mine. That was only a particular case. I reccomend a local anesthesia...not gas ...it's not worth it!!Cheer up!

i have 1 monday and im soooo not looking forward to it. i know itll be alright but i just hate the whole thing. ill be getting a shot to numb it and laughing gas. it works wonders for the nerves.