Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

The New York Yankees don't allow their players to wear beards?

What was the last Yankees team to not have this rule?

• mark
    Favorite Answer

Here's an interesting clip from a News Story done on this issue in 2001.

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner never had a problem with moustaches, but he has always reviled beards and long hair. Several Yankees players, including Thurman Munson, Reggie Jackson, and Dave Winfield, have grown beards as contractual bargaining tools or simply, to rankle "The Boss." On Opening Day 1976, Steinbrenner even insisted that team publicist Marty Appel recall the Yankees yearbooks, as several players were depicted with long hair. Fifteen years later, in 1991, Tim Kurkijian documented in a Sports Illustrated article that Steinbrenner benched Don Mattingly because he refused to get a haircut. It is surprising that after nearly thirty years of managing the Yankees, nobody has reminded Steinbrenner of the Biblical Samson, whose strength was stultified after he got a haircut.

Did you know that as owner of the Reds, Marge Schott didn't allow players to wear any facial hair? Not even moustaches.

Did you know that Sparky Anderson was OK with facial hair, but not with earrings for his players?

There are others, as well.

Every team is allowed to set a dress code for it's players, and they differ from team to team, from owner to owner and from manager to manager. Just as in high school, dress codes can include personal grooming.

For the Yankees, this is Steinbrenner's policy.

Not sure the answer to that, but the Yankees have never (As long as I've followed baseball) allowed beards, or facial hair for that matter. I think it's the clean-cut image that George wasn't to portrait (I hope that word was used right) to the media.

Naw! They are allowed facial hair. Think about Jackson, Gossage,Martin and Mattingly. Old George just does'nt want long hair and beards. In years back, it was a policy of baseball. Now it is up to the individual franchises to make there own policies. This is just Georges policy that's all.

they choose adult males to appear as if adult males. it can not be the militia notwithstanding this is no longer American Idol neither, and that they permit facial hair, ask Don Mattingly, Randy Johnson, Ron Guidry, Wade Boggs, and so on and so on and so on and an prolonged and so on. i do no longer care approximately gamers looking acceptable, and it would not keep time interior the morning. this is relatively the different, that's why adult males are waiting in 5 minutes and ladies people can take hours.

• JerH1

My guess would be that the rule was put in place when Steinbrenner bought the team in 1972. I don't have a source for that, though.

I would love to see this go to a court fight if a player were to refuse to cut his beard due to religious reasons. Steinbrenner would lose.

and this is y i hate the yankeees some rules they have r so stupid and they,re so ignorant..not wear beards?wat a stupid rule.thats y the redsox r better.they let they,re players express themselves.thats y theres alot of chaos in the yankees locker room.

They don't allow their players to have facial hair, unless it is a mustache. I don't agree with the rule.

They allow mustaches, but not goatees, or full beards. I don't think they ever allowed them.