How can I beat an infection from a cold without seeing a doctor?

I've had an awful cold for a month now. It is clearly a bad infection as well, and I've been taking robbitussin, tylenol cold and sinus, using saline sprays, yet nothing is stopping this infection. (symptoms are the nasty yellow mucus when I cough or blow my nose, and awful congestion)

Am I going to have to admit defeat and head to a doctor to get antibiotics, or can I kick this cold myself?

side note: I'm just trying to avoid the doctor because I've got a wicked deductible this year and I can't stomach the fact that I'm going to have to blow $200+ to simply kill a cold. Gotta love insurance...

• woody
    Favorite Answer

i hope u have some left over antibiotics lying around because that would help

The common cold is caused by a virus, which isn't really treatable by a doctor.

Secondary infections are common with colds because the virus wears down your immune system.

If you've had a secondary infection that long, I'd highly suggest seeing a doctor, or at the very least, try to find some antibiotics on the web. Some websites do not require a prescription. But know that seeing a doc is always best.

Continuously blow your nose. You want to flush the sinus cavities as much as possible, but do not blow so hard that you push mucus into your inner ear canal, as that will cause yet another infection.

Take lots of vitamin C, zinc, and magnesium. Zycam supposedly works (to reduce the time of a cold) and so does Airborne.

The yellow discharge tells you it is not a cold anymore, but a bacterial infection. You do need an antibiotics, a whole course of it. Do not use old ones unless you have 7 to 10 days worth.

Take mutiple vitamins with additional vitaminC, 1000 mg, twice a day. Drink plenty of fluids, eat lots of fruit and vegetables. Try to get proper rest and exercise.

Source(s): I did my research on vitamin C. It works.

INFECTIONS need antibiotics to clear them up. They are caused by bacteria. No cold lasts for a month so see your doc ASAP and get this treated.