The quote from Matt 27:46 is, " . . .My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?. . . "?

Favorite Answer

What about it?

Psalm 22:1

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

Matthew 27:46

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mark 15:34

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

At this particular moment in time, the sins of the world were placed upon Jesus, God the Father removed His presence, and Jesus had to bear the weight of all that sin alone, by Himself. His soul cried out to God the Father because for the first and only time throughout eternity He was separated from God the Father. The death and beatings Jesus received were horrific; however, they pale in comparison to the sins of the world. I can't even imagine how horrible it was - just think of all the inhumane things mankind has done - killing, hurting children, mayhem - That was the true test of the cross, that was the true torture that Jesus had to endure.

When Jesus went up to Jerusalem that Easter followed by a throng of believers, he, and all the people expected him to usher in God's Kingdom on Earth, where Jews would reign supreme. No doubt Jesus still believed it in spite of being nailed up. Until finally he must have realized the whole idea of him being God's instrument for that purpose was a delusion. Hence the saddest and most agonizing call to his god ever heard on this earth. There is also the possibility that he now realized God too was a myth.

Source(s): the Bible

Jesus said it to complete the messianic prophecy told by King David (Psalm 22).

Jesus was fully aware that he was repeating and fulfilling Old Testament prophecy. About a thousand years earlier the Lord had spoken through King David about the abandonment that his Father would compel him to suffer on the pole/cross. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent.”

Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?

My God... Hmmmm, now whyyyy would Jesus (pbuh) be addressing God, and why would he call Him "My" God? Because God was Jesus' God, because Jesus was not God. How could Jesus be God if he felt abandoned by God? Do we cry in despair because we've abandoned ourselves? Maybe if we're suffering from a mental disorder, but the Bible says nothing about Jesus suffering from one.

Even if it is a quote, to ask God "Why hast thou forsaken me?" indicates a feeling of defeat. Does God ever feel defeated??? NEVER. Jesus felt defeat, apparently from his cry out to God. Therefore, Jesus is not God.

He is quoting Psalm 22:1 which decribes a person being crucified about 1000 years before it was invented....theBerean

Read Psalms 22. That is a fulfilment of that. Look closely at verse 16.

• tim

Christian 93 gave you the scriptures.

Jesus said that because He took all our sins on Him at that time, and because of those sins the Father could not look upon Jesus, and Jesus felt this separation. It was the only time that they were apart and it was the worst moment for Jesus!

MYGod my God why hast thou not told us what thou wanst

AMEN!!!!