Common Foods That Are Harmful Or Even Fatal to Dogs
Avocados (fruit, pit, and plant)
They can cause difficulty breathing; fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.
Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty. Even small amounts can cause cumulative damage over time. This includes onions or chives - raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked.
Large amounts of garlic cause the same problems as onions.
Grapes and Raisins
Can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill him. If the dog doesn't eat enough at one time to be fatal, he can be severely damaged by eating just a few grapes or raisins regularly.
Can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.
Can cause tremors, seizures and death.
Caffeine (from coffee, coffee grounds, tea, or tea bags)
Stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems, and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.
Diet products containing the sweetener Xylitol
Can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Unless treatment is given quickly, the dog could die.
Can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. These symptoms are usually temporary.
Walnuts are poisonous to dogs.
Can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. But any chocolate, in large enough amounts, can kill a dog. An ounce of chocolate can poison a 30-pound dog, and many dogs will happily consume more than this. The symptoms may not show up for several hours (and so might make you think all is well), with death following within twenty-four hours. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.
Apple seeds, cherry, peach, plum, apricot pits, and pear pips
Contain cyanide, which is poisonous.
Too much salt
Can cause kidney problems. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may then drink too much water and develop bloat, which is fatal unless emergency treatment is given very quickly.
Too much fat or fried foods
Can cause pancreatitis.
Ham and bacon
Contain too much fat and too much salt, and can cause pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called bloat. This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing death.
Raw liver or too much cooked liver (three servings a week)
Can lead to vitamin A toxicity. This can cause deformed bones, excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss, and anorexia. Check the label of your canned dog food to be sure that it does not contain liver if you are giving your dog liver also.
Can cause abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, coma, or death.
Raw egg whites
Contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dog’s growth and coat health. The lack of it can cause hair loss, weakness, growth retardation, or skeleton deformity.
Should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog’s diet, but rice is generally safe in small amounts.
Can splinter and tear a dog’s internal organs.
Most Vegetables whole or in large pieces.
Dogs can't digest most vegetables (carrots, green beans, lettuce, potatoes or yams) whole or in large pieces.
Potato peels and green potatoes
Are dangerous, dogs can't digest.
Are high in fat, which can cause pancreatitis, gas and diarrhea. A small amount of non-fat, plain yogurt is usually safe.