how can i remove Trojan horse (location c:\WINDOWS\MDM.EXE) from the computer?

i have format the c: drive, reinstalled the windows but the Trojan horse remains in c:\WINDOWS\MDM.EXE.

Clone 17 & chirs Dman,

I have re-installed it from the Microsoft CD. After the fresh installation i installed Norton antivirus and had the latest virus updates. but when i click on my D: Drive to access some files the trojan again appears. and the norton real time protection gave me the MSG: "Virus Found: name: Trojan Horse: location/ file: C:\Windows\MDM.EXE"

now my question is if the virus is in the file which is located in D: Drive the why the norton protection giving me the Wrong location, plus when i scan my computer with the norton antivirus it didn’t find any virus in D: Drive.

I hope you guys understand now.

and thanks for the answers really appreciate that.

Best Answer

mdm.exe is a system process - Machine Debug Manager. Used by developers. Located in "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\VS7DEBUG\".

The Microsoft Machine Debug Manager (mdm.exe) does not connect to the Internet itself. However, it is still a rather ill-behaved program that leaves scads of temporary files on the hard drive that it never deletes, and fails to unload properly (on shared computers, when a user logs on a new instance of mdm.exe may start, but it won't necessarily exit when the user logs off. Depending on how many users have used the PC since the last reboot, dozens of copies of this program could be simultaneously running, eating up CPU and memory!).

mdm.exe is known to cause crashes and fatal errors on some PCs using Dial-Up Networking.

MDM. Exe is not a trojan horse. It stands for machine debug manager. It is installed when the Microsoft Scripting Runtime is installed to help script developers debug their scripts. Usually the scripting runtime and editor is installed as a package of Microsoft Office. The Machine Debug Manager runs as a service, however, is not critical and can be disabled unless you are using Microsoft scripting languages (Visual Basic Script or VBS). This explains why you have reformatted your HD and it is still there.... because you wiped everything, then reinstalled windows and probably MS office.......

Hi there,

Whilst MDM.EXE is best known as a legitimate windows file, it is also used in certain malware infections.

For example, here's some detailed information on a malicious version of MDM.EXE:

http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/spywarefiles.asp?FXC...

The best and easiest way to remove this is by installing the Free Trial of Prevx1. This will scan your PC and remove this and any other infections free of charge.

• Mortis

MDM.exe is a Microsoft application used to debug script in programs, namely Internet Explorer. It is possible to disable it but not advisable to remove it from your system. Read the the source link for more information.

How do you know its a trojan? that is Machine Debug Manager. your machine cant debug with a virus but if you reformated, the virus would be gone. of course you will still have the MDM. So why do you think you still have trojan? did you go to the same X site as before?

I dont get it. If you completely formatted it and re-installed from the windows disk, it should be gone. Or did you do it from the backup on the PC?

I have same as problem in my laptop how i can remove it.