Lauren asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Are St. Bernards good dogs?

Are St. Bernards good with little kids? Are they easy to train? Do they do good with other dogs?

Favorite Answer

Yes they are very good dogs. I have never had one, but I have heard that they are GREAT dogs.

• Stark

I work at a vet clinic, and one of my coworkers rescues St. Bernards. She has had many through out her life. She has three right now, and one bichon. These three HUGE dogs are SOO sweet. She has three kids of her own that grew up with saints, and all of her dogs were wonderful with them. Now her kids are grown up and her 18 month old grand daughter loves these dogs. She can do whateve she wants, and all of these dogs are So gentle with her. And she rescued all of these dogs as adults. They are all wonderful.

The only thing is that you have to have room for them. They are not hyper dogs, just BIG dogs, and they take up a lot of room. And they are also expensive. Their food costs and vet bills are out rageous. My friend does not make a lot of money, but she devotes a lot of it to the dogs, and does just fine. Good Luck with your search. Do a little more research on the breed so you know they are right for you. But they really are very nice dogs.

Oh, one more thing...They DROOL! My friend carries around a slobber rag with her whenever she has the dogs. They can be very slobbery.

They are very good dogs. They need training to make sure they don't overpower anyone but they are great family dogs. Be careful who you get one from and do alot of homework before getting one. Check out the breeders very carefully. They are considered a Giant Breed of dog and that means that they are hugh, also they tend to have heart, joint and eye issues. Also they don't like the heat so if you live in a warm weather climate maybe this breed is not for you. Please know being of a Giant breed their life span is not the longest. Usually 7 years anything after that is a gift.

Good luck!

Source(s): Former Golden breeder and owner of over 20 years and general large dog lover

We had a St. Bernard named Bernie when I was 5. He was a wonderful dog he even put up with me trying to ride him like a horse. I miss him.

A St.Bernard is a good breed. It needs training like any dog.Yes they are good with children and even protect the.They eat a lot as they are growing but as they are mature they will not eat as much. They are even good dogs for service dogs.And they do get attached to the family so it is not wise to displace them. And they are your buddies til death.They learn fast and train just as easy as any dog. l love mine a lot. He is a service dog.

Beethoven is. Watch the movie Beethoven. All dogs are nice with kids if they are treated nicely. Whenever you hear of any dog attacking a child, it's because of the evil owner, not the dog.

i work with a guy that has 3.you couldn't convince him that there is a better dog.he has 2 kids i think they are 4 and 7 years old.his wife also has some kind of little dog and he thinks he rules the house.just don't watch Cujo before you buy one.

I heard that there firey with kids if not raised with them. But my mom just got one and she is a such a gentle giant! They are such babys! You'll love one trust me! ^_^

yea to all questions but they like to chew and have lots of attention they also like to be have lots of land to run around in

From what I have heard and seen.. they are wonderful...but predisposed to lots of problems.