Shelf life of whiskey, vodka, gin etc.?

I found some dusy opened bottles of gin, brandy, whiskey, crown royal behind a shelf in my grandmother's house. What exactly is the shelf life of vodka, gin or brandy after it has been opened. Are they any good after many years of sitting? I heard that brown liquors such as brandy, cognac or crown royal will... show more I found some dusy opened bottles of gin, brandy, whiskey, crown royal behind a shelf in my grandmother's house. What exactly is the shelf life of vodka, gin or brandy after it has been opened. Are they any good after many years of sitting? I heard that brown liquors such as brandy, cognac or crown royal will get some people sicker as opposed to white liquors like vodka, gin that I heard doesn't make people that sick. Is this an urban myth? I want to use the gin in lemonade or make a screw driver, but is the potency gone out of the liquor. I found one bottle of brandy that has the seal date of 1971 and it is half full. I don't think I would drink that. But I would like to know about the gin.
4 answers