Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

How do I make a blended ice coffee drink similar to a Starbucks Frappachino?

I've tried many times to make a Frappachino-type drink, and even though my recipe is improving, there is still a big difference between my homemade concoction and the real thing. Whenever I blend the coffee and ice, they separate after a few minutes. I believe that perhaps Starbucks puts something in their ice that causes it to blend better with liquid. Anyone have any idea what that might be? Or do you have any other tips that would make the entire drink mix more evenly? Thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Starbucks uses a "creme beverage base" for all their frappuccino blended drinks. Their mix includes sugar, milk powder, and some thickening agents. Your missing ingredient is the thickening agent.

The best answer is to add a little bit of carrageenan powder such as the type you'll find here: http://www.coffeewholesalers.com/coffeedrinksuppli... Carrageenan is a gum derived from seaweed that is used to thicken foods like ice cream or soy milk. A little goes a long way - start with around 1/8 tsp and add more as needed.

Alternatively, you can try something like chocolate or vanilla instant pudding mix. One or two tbsp should have the desired effect, provided you enjoy the taste. I've also heard that sweetened condensed or evaporated milk (found in cans at any supermarket) can help with the thickening.

Another way to improve iced coffee drinks is to use cold brewed coffee concentrate instead of espresso. Hot coffee or espresso will turn bitter if mixed with ice or left to cool. Cold brewed coffee is made with a coarse grind, 12-18 hours, and cold water. It keeps well in the fridge for several weeks. If you make enough iced drinks, it might be worth looking at a brewer from www.toddycafe.com.

• 1 decade ago

Starbucks Frappachinos:

7 min 6 min prep

2 servings

16 oz. each

3/4 cup coffee (double strength and cold)

1 cup low-fat milk

3 tablespoons sugar

2 cups ice (crushed seems to work a little better)

3 tablespoons chocolate syrup

1. Blend all ingredients in blender and enjoy!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sweetie,try this recipe:

What You will Need:One cup of milk,and one cup of whipped topping.One cup v-8 berry blend juice, and two tablespoons of instant coffee(dont go too wild with this).One packet of cocoa mix,or a half cup of chocolate syrup.Finally,you will need about 4-5 ice cubes.

Combine ingredients in a blender and blend for 30 - 40 seconds.Now,My suggestion with this is,that you add the milk,and the whipped topping.Next add the juice,the coffee,and the cocoa or chocolate syrup.Make sure is mixed,then add the ice.Make sure the ice is blended in extremely well.I dont believe that there is anything in their ice,but you must have the proper proportion of ice and liquid.Try this recipe.Hope you enjoy.Good luck hun and have a good night!

• 1 decade ago

Try Crushing the ice in a food processor. Make the coffee and put the mug into an ice bath to cool it down so it doesn't melt the crushed ice.They don't put anything special in their ice, they just put ice in the cup, then add some coffee mixture and a bit more ice. Then take the crushed ice into a glass and then add the cooled coffee, then add a bit of milk. That should do the trick! GOOD LUCK!! HOPE THIS HELPED!!

Source(s): Culinary student, Starbucks addict!!
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sean
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Higher caffeine content perhaps?? Caffeine is a well known digestive irritant. Ground coffee or filter coffee is often higher in caffeine than instant coffee.

• 1 decade ago

get a part time job at STARBUCKS and learn how then quit after you have found out

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First things first - charge yourself $6 just for thinking about it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.