Maria R asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 decade ago

why is japanese breath stinky?

Favorite Answer

This is such a brave, good, and succinct question I am going to star this one!

If you have spent time in Japanese homes at all, you will notice the lack of one thing in their medicine cabinets: Dental floss. I never had bad breath before coming to Japan. It took about 6 months for me to notice the change myself. Before then, I was just a brusher. I never used dental floss in the US, nor did I use mouth wash, etc. But after noticing that my breath was becoming unpleasant, I tried different things. First mouth wash. It helped a little, but it was only a temporary fix. Finally I started using dental floss. The first pass between my molars released the exact smell I had smelled on almost all Japanese men. I almost threw up. I am deathly scared of Japanese dentists so now I go through a very rigorous regiment of dental hygiene. I tried several Japanese mouth washes. On reason why Japanese don't use mouth wash is probably because they seriously burn your mouth when you use them. That scared me away from them for a while until I found PLAX and G.U.M.

So the short answer is only partially diet, but mainly the lack of knowledge of dental hygiene. It almost seems that the smell everyone smells is just the normal smell. What a shame.

(Japanese are also just as ignorant about droplet infection, which is why most people don't cover their mouths when they sneeze or cough. The funny thing is that they are not ashamed to wear the surgical masks in public.)

By the way, my breath is fresh all day!

Source(s): Me. I have been living in Japan for over 15 years and have lived through the horror, and fixed it.

The stinky Japanese breath is perplexing and disturbing.

Many Japanese covering the mouth when they smiling (bad teeth?) but open mouth for the sneeze achoo and cough and stinky yawn.

Maybe stress stomach acid mixing with natto, alcohol, fishy food, seaweed and other foodstuffs.

Yes very stinky. I am disturbed.

Bad breath is not caused by the onions you had for lunch, but rather by

anaerobic bacteria that breed on the back of the tongue. These bacteria

produce volatile sulfur compounds. One of those compounds, hydrogen

sulfide, is what causes your breath to smell like rotten eggs.

http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/pipermail/phnutr-...

it is not what goes into the person's mouth that is dirty and stinks, it is what comes from the mouth. ..Japanese or not

no one is exemption..brushing and flossing is needed..

• Nancy

It could be any number of thigs causing to from poor diet to a skin infection. A trip to the vet to rule out medical causes would be the best first option

Because of the type of food japanese eat.eg they eat a lot of raw fish.

Yeah, Japanese men's breath is particularly stinky.

I figure it's a potent mix of tobacco, canned coffee and sake.

Not at all pleasant.

A mixture of dried squid snacks, too much alcohol and poor dental hygiene equals putrid breath.

Being pressed against your typical salaryman in a crowded train can be hell. And don't get me started on the hair tonic.

same reason everyone else's breath is stinky....halitosis.

Lol! Yeah? Watch out! They got Samurai! (- -,)

a lot of smoke n alcohol.