Can you download songs on your ipod without itunes?

I recently bought an Ipod Nano (4GB) that is going to arrive sometime soon. I heard you can download songs from your computer to your ipod without buying songs off of Itunes. I download songs off of limewire and mp3rocket, can I put songs on my ipod from these programs. I heard you can transfer the songs from... show more I recently bought an Ipod Nano (4GB) that is going to arrive sometime soon. I heard you can download songs from your computer to your ipod without buying songs off of Itunes. I download songs off of limewire and mp3rocket, can I put songs on my ipod from these programs.

I heard you can transfer the songs from your song file onto itunes in order to download those songs on your ipod, can someone give me detailed instructions on how to do this if it's possible, i'll give you best answer, thanks