s_e_e
s_e_e asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

What are the chances of getting a seat on standby?

All the flights on Southwest Airlines (a cheap airline if you haven't heard about them) are booked up on a certain day I need to fly. I'm thinking of going to the airport and being put on stand by. Is there a good chance getting a seat?

• dcgirl
    Favorite Answer

Actually you can only fly standby if you are already ticketed on a later flight on the same day. If you showed up at the airport and they had a seat available, you'd have to purchase it at the last-minute fare which is generally a lot higher than the regular fare. If you must go on that certain day, the best you can do is fly with a different airline.

Well there are other requirements. But getting a seat on standby depends on other people who are already on the list and what position you are in. I wouldn't count on it. Try a different airline if you have to fly that day and do it in advance because the price of the ticket will dramatically increase.

You can try and see. But your chances aren't too good, I would think. If you want to fly that day, and they're all booked up, maybe that day is a particularly popular day to fly. There's probably lots of people ahead of you on the list.

Maybe look at flying another less-popular day?