What is the difference between a suit jacket and a sports coat?

I have an interview that's "business casual". I've been advised to go with slacks, button down shirt, no tie, and a sport coat. I went shopping for a sport coat, and they're either fairly crappy or $500+. I'm sure there's something in the middle I just haven't found... show more I have an interview that's "business casual". I've been advised to go with slacks, button down shirt, no tie, and a sport coat. I went shopping for a sport coat, and they're either fairly crappy or $500+. I'm sure there's something in the middle I just haven't found yet.

However, I can't tell the difference between that and the jacket portion of a suit. I have two nice, fairly neutral color suits. Can I just wear the coat with a different pair of pants to imply the casual portion of business casual?

Ironically, they make it business casual so the interviewee feels more comfortable. A suit would just be a whole lot easier. Thanks.

If, by the way, they are different, please suggest some places to look and a general price range.